Traditons vs CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak about Traditions but I've had 2 CVA's over the years. An Apollo 90 that I still have, a Kodiak I bought some years ago that I really liked. The few times I had a small problem, CVA was quick to take care of it. I had a problem with my Kodiak a few months ago and I sent it in to be checked out. They sent me a new Optima V2! I haven't shot it yet but I can't wait to try it. I'll need to put some iron sights on it because I sometimes use them. So any time someone ask about muzzleloaders I always suggest CVA!

drhunter1 said:
I can't speak about Traditions but I've had 2 CVA's over the years. An Apollo 90 that I still have, a Kodiak I bought some years ago that I really liked. The few times I had a small problem, CVA was quick to take care of it. I had a problem with my Kodiak a few months ago and I sent it in to be checked out. They sent me a new Optima V2! I haven't shot it yet but I can't wait to try it. I'll need to put some iron sights on it because I sometimes use them. So any time someone ask about muzzleloaders I always suggest CVA!

WOW!!! A new V2 for a used Kodiak! How good is that!

It’s a easy choice really, TC Prohunter. The TC Prohunter can do what all the other muzzeloaders can do. But the all the other muzzeloaders can’t do what the TC Prohunter can. The Prohunter is the most customizable gun made. There is more aftermarket stuff for the Prohunter than any other gun. It can be a black powder muzzeloader, smokeless muzzeloader, shotgun, pistol or rifle. You can buy almost any caliber from 17 Mach 2 to 600 Nitro. Second choice for a light muzzeloader only would be a Tc Triumph Bonecollector.

nomadicbohunk said:
I'm going to order a new muzzleloader. I can't decide which, so I'm asking for people's thoughts and experiences. I'm going to finger them all again this weekend.

It's between a Traditions Ultralight Vortek, Traditions Persuit Ultralight, a CVA Accura MR, and a CVA Optima V2. I don't like knight rifles for whatever irrational reason or I'd probably be all about their ultralight.

It will be used in the North Eastern US (where I will be moving soon) for attempts at bears and whitetail deer. I will use it in many of the states (NY, MA, VT, and CT mainly). I will backpack with it a lot, so I want a light rifle. I've already bought a Meopro 3-9 to slap on what I get. I kind of want to get something I won't feel too bad about beating the crap out of. As far as I can tell, a scoped inline with sabots is legal in all those states.

Basically, I'm going to hike around a lot during rifle seasons and want something with me. I don't want to take one of my nice center fires all the time, so I might as well finally get a modern inline blackpowder gun like I've been putting off. If I drew a muzzy tag in the north west, CO, etc, I already have a nice gun I could borrow for that which is compliant with appropriate loads. This will only be used in the north east. Plus I kind of just want to get a bear with a muzzleloader. The only dedicated muzzleloader seasons I'll use it with is the early in NY, and CT's.

Rifle wise, I already own a NULA for smokeless and a Lyman great plains rifle. I've often borrowed an Accura V1 and a higher end of the spectrum TC dedicated muzzleloader. I'm leaving the NULA with my dad since he's a little partial to it.

I will only shoot Blackhorn 209.

Is the nitride that awesome and worth the extra money vs stainless? I mean, if I were shooting pyrodex, I'd love it, but we've never had an issue with blackhorn in a stainless rifle. I won't shoot it much at all once I work a load up. I'll probably only pop it off once every week or two to put a fresh load in.

How is the accuracy in general on the CVAs vs the Traditions? I've found a little bit on this, but not much.

Is the Accura's polished barrel that much easier to clean and that much more accurate vs the Optima?

I'm not that concerned about recoil. I can properly shoot an ultralight rifle while getting my crap rocked. I feel like a lot of folks can't. These muzzle loaders won't be nearly as bad as some of my centerfires.

One other question. That rubbery stuff on the stocks of TC's, Accuras, etc. Has anyone ever had that start to break down? It seems to me like it would over time. I'm a little leery of getting a stock with those grippy spots on it.

Any other thoughts or advice? Anyone want to tell me to get something completely different I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

I currently have a CVA optima V2 and an Accura V2 nitride. Accuracy wise they are both excellent (especially with BH209 powder). The only problem with the optima is a non-adjustable trigger. You get what you get. My Optima V2 has a CRAZY light trigger. With my trigger pull gauge (which has been backed by two friends to be accurate) it pulls 1lb 6ounces. Too light if you ask me but it is nice and crisp and I just keep very very cognizant when I am hunting with it. I have heard others report back with triggers around the 4-5lb mark which personally I do not like! The accura V2 is adjustable from 3lb-6lb. Mine is set at 3lb and is very crisp. Personally, my hunting rifles all sport 2.5lb triggers so I wish the accura could go just a touch lighter but ill take 3lbs over the optima's 1lb 6 ounce trigger any day for the safety aspect.

I have a friend with an Optima and a trigger of 2.5 lbs. My Optima is right at 4.0 lbs. I personally prefer a slightly heavier trigger because I shoot better with it.

rangerod said:
I have a friend with an Optima and a trigger of 2.5 lbs. My Optima is right at 4.0 lbs. I personally prefer a slightly heavier trigger because I shoot better with it.

Light triggers and sizeable gloves required for cold hunting days are not a man's best friend. I'm like you rod.......

off a bench a light trigger is great, where you can control gun but for hunting I prefer about a 3# trigger or a tad more. I bought a Ruger 77/22 from a guy once who said he had a custom trigger job done on it, said it was 2.5#, shooting off bench it was pretty much a 1 hole gun.. Took it squirrel hunting and the 1st 2 squirrels I tried to shoot gun went off just from leaning back to shoot up in the top of a big old hickory. From then on kept trigger finger away from trigger until on squirrels head, come to find out the trigger was 1.75# way too light for shooting up in tree tops.

GoexBlackhorn said:
rangerod said:

Light triggers and sizeable gloves required for cold hunting days are not a man's best friend. I'm like you rod.......

halloflin said:
drhunter1 said:

WOW!!! A new V2 for a used Kodiak! How good is that!
Yep!. That's why I've stayed with them all these years and will recommend them. Every manufacturer has problems at times. But it's how they handle them that makes a big difference. Like I said, I've had CVA's since the early 90's and the few times I had a problem they worked to resolve them. If anything changes, I'll let you know that too! :lol:

rangerod said:

One of the first times I’ve heard this? Not that it’s a bad thing! I totally understand a light trigger isn’t for everyone, I personally have become so accustomed to a super light ‘tuned’ trigger that i have a REALLY HARD TIME shooting anything much over 2 lbs, I recently installed a Bix’ N Andy Ball bearing trigger in my Remington 700 .308 Win, it is a 2 stage trigger and breaks at 14-15 Ounces, This is what i killed my buck with this year. My Sidelocks with Set triggers are as light as they will safely go. We all have our own preferences!

I tried for a long time to shoot a 2 lb trigger. Wouldn't say groups were terrible, just not as good as the 4 lb trigger. A friend I often shoot with surmises that the heavier trigger maybe forces me to focus more. As you've said it's all about whatever works.

I quit the light triggers the day I was once seated during a morning hunt and my gun fired in my lap, as I was about to rise for a better look-see/possible shot.

I traded-in that Pedersoli Rolling Block 54 inline the following week, in exchange for my T/C Omega at Cabelas. Those Rolling Blocks had small trigger guards and that was an oversight by me when purchasing it new almost 17 years ago.

Besides it was a pain in the arse to clean deep crevices around the breechplug break-area too.

I personally have become so accustomed to a super light ‘tuned’ trigger that i have a REALLY HARD TIME shooting anything much over 2 lbs.

I agree . I'm spoiled now . I have a hard time shooting heavy triggers . I very much like a light crisp trigger . When I have a heavy trigger I have a tuff time getting the trigger to break when trying to shoot properly .

I ended up getting a super good deal on a couple year old Optima V2. It was shot about 50 times, has the 209 plug, was kept care of perfectly, and I paid $100 for it. So, I'm happy. I've got my beater muzzleloader. Based on the replies, I was just going to buy a new Accura. Now I just have to work up some loads for it.

Thanks!

Hello Folks,
I see by the dates that this is a pretty old post but I'd like to throw in my two cents anyway. I don't recall reading that any of the responders owned a Traditions rifle, but as it happens I own both Traditions (3) and CVAs (2). My Traditions rifle is a Pursuit XT VAPR. My CVA is an Accura MR-X. I'm not listing the others because these seem to be what the post is about. So to begin with, I think it's all about what each person may want or expect from their rifle. They each have their pluses and minuses. The Pursuit weighs in at about 6.25 lbs. Which makes it nice to carry in the field but brutal for a day at the range. The CVA weighs in at 8 lbs which makes it better for range days but a bit more labor in the field. The Pursuit (in VAPR) has a 1:24 twist rate while the CVA has the standard 1:28 twist rate. The Pursuit has an active trigger block safety while the CVA has none. The Pursuit has a standard polymer stock and forearm that is smooth and slick where not checkered and requires an allen wrench to start disassembly where the CVA uses a simple and convenient release lever to start. The Pursuit has the standard Chromalloy barrel (tho it does have the CereKote finish) while the CVA has a stainless steel, Cerekote and Nitride Bergara barrel. The pursuit stock and forearm feel slim but comfortable while the CVA is heavier and bulkier. But the CVA seems to have a better feel/fit to my hands. Also, the CVA has a (soft touch) velvety feel to it that is really nice not to mention the Hogue rubber inlays. Overall, I would have to say that the CVA is the more feature rich of the two. While I appreciate the stainless steel, Cerekote and Nitride treatments, I find the more value in the fact that it's a Bergara barrel. I clean and lube all of my firearms at the end of every shooting session and check them all weekly and rub them down again. Now on to the most important aspect, how they shoot. For me, I don't seem to shoot any better with any of my 5 inline rifles. But I'm nearly 70 years old and it may just be a matter of my old eyes. I have heard terrible things about Traditions when it comes to customer support but I've never had any problems with them myself. But the few times that I have delt with them did not concern repairs of any kind. I will say that they went out of their way to be accommodating and help me with my needs. So far, I've had no need to contact customer service at CVA. I hope this provides someone with helpful information.

I also have a Traditions Vortek StrikerFire- XT VAPR 1:20 .45 and a CVA LR-X 1:24 .45 and I'm happy with both of those as well. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. The top of the hammer of a Traditions rifle is higher than that of a CVA so using a scope bigger than 40mm will make it necessary to use (high) scope rings. Where with a CVA you can use medium rings for a 44mm scope.

Hello Folks,
I see by the dates that this is a pretty old post but I'd like to throw in my two cents anyway. I don't recall reading that any of the responders owned a Traditions rifle, but as it happens I own both Traditions (3) and CVAs (2). My Traditions rifle is a Pursuit XT VAPR. My CVA is an Accura MR-X. I'm not listing the others because these seem to be what the post is about. So to begin with, I think it's all about what each person may want or expect from their rifle. They each have their pluses and minuses. The Pursuit weighs in at about 6.25 lbs. Which makes it nice to carry in the field but brutal for a day at the range. The CVA weighs in at 8 lbs which makes it better for range days but a bit more labor in the field. The Pursuit (in VAPR) has a 1:24 twist rate while the CVA has the standard 1:28 twist rate. The Pursuit has an active trigger block safety while the CVA has none. The Pursuit has a standard polymer stock and forearm that is smooth and slick where not checkered and requires an allen wrench to start disassembly where the CVA uses a simple and convenient release lever to start. The Pursuit has the standard Chromalloy barrel (tho it does have the CereKote finish) while the CVA has a stainless steel, Cerekote and Nitride Bergara barrel. The pursuit stock and forearm feel slim but comfortable while the CVA is heavier and bulkier. But the CVA seems to have a better feel/fit to my hands. Also, the CVA has a (soft touch) velvety feel to it that is really nice not to mention the Hogue rubber inlays. Overall, I would have to say that the CVA is the more feature rich of the two. While I appreciate the stainless steel, Cerekote and Nitride treatments, I find the more value in the fact that it's a Bergara barrel. I clean and lube all of my firearms at the end of every shooting session and check them all weekly and rub them down again. Now on to the most important aspect, how they shoot. For me, I don't seem to shoot any better with any of my 5 inline rifles. But I'm nearly 70 years old and it may just be a matter of my old eyes. I have heard terrible things about Traditions when it comes to customer support but I've never had any problems with them myself. But the few times that I have delt with them did not concern repairs of any kind. I will say that they went out of their way to be accommodating and help me with my needs. So far, I've had no need to contact customer service at CVA. I hope this provides someone with helpful information.

I also have a Traditions Vortek StrikerFire- XT VAPR 1:20 .45 and a CVA LR-X 1:24 .45 and I'm happy with both of those as well. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. The top of the hammer of a Traditions rifle is higher than that of a CVA so using a scope bigger than 40mm will make it necessary to use (high) scope rings. Where with a CVA you can use medium rings for a 44mm scope.
Welcome from Oklahoma.
Great write-up, thanks for sharing your thoughts about these guns.

I run the cva optima v2 stainless with a leupold grandslam on top...I shoot BARNES 250 GR TEZ ...I don't shoot blackhorn I shoot triple 7 pellets and primers and it just flat out works...I put 3 literally into same hole it's crazy..but I have shot both cva and traditions and I can honestly say my money will always go to cva, and there lifetime warranty and customer service can't be beat!

I have no knowledge of Traditions but IMO the CVA Accuras are excellent inline BP rifles. I have the stainless V2 and my sons have the MRs. We use the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket to prevent blowback. No problems after several years of use & all are equipped with Nikon scopes.

LyIDjTPh.jpg

Hello Folks, As it happens, I own 3 CVA inlines and 3 Traditions inlines. The CVAs are .50 MR-X, .45 LR-x and a .50 Optima V2. After a lot of working up loads for each rifle, I have definitely found loads that each rifle prefers. And everyone of them likes a different load. Now I'm going to make a statement that many will wish to differ with, but here it is anyway. For me, not one of my rifles shoots any better than the other. I will agree with everyone else about BH-209 being the best powder. However, I refuse to pay $79 per 8oz and then also have to pay out haz-mat fees as well as S/H fees. I wish everyone else would refuse as well so that we might force a reduction in the price gouging for this product. Ok, enough ranting and on to the more relevant opinions you asked for. You mentioned you were looking at a lot of backpacking. I've done a lot of backpacking over the years and I know that every oz matters. With that in mind, you can remove all of the CVAs. The MR-X and the LR-X weigh over 8 lbs. The Optima V2 weigh less but still more than a Traditions rifle. The Traditions rifles have a trigger blocking safety, (more important when backpacking) While the CVAs do not. While I would rather carry a Traditions in the field or backpacking, You'll have a great deal more felt recoil during a day at the range. The CVAs while being heavier will be far more comfortable at the range. As far as warranties go, they both have life time warranties. I've had reason to deal with both companies customer service and have no complaints about either. I ordered all of my CVAs with Cerekote and Nitride finishes. It's worth it to have the most corrosive resistant finish you can get for us BP shooters. The CVAs all have more bells and whistles than the Traditions rifles. And I would say they are worth the extra money. BTW, my Traditions rifles are: Buckstalker .50, (not recommended), Pursuit XT VAPR .50, Strikerfire XT VAPR .45. As I said, the CVAs are more feature rich than a comparable Traditions rifle. I don't know your age or physical condition so I can't judge for you which rifle you should get. If it won't matter to you about carrying around an 8.5 lb rifle rather than a 6.5 lb rifle, then I can't say you'd regret the CVA. In the end, you are the only one who can decide what you want most from your rifle. Good luck with your choice.

I posted this in another thread......

I went the CVA Optima V2 50 route. It served me well. It shot very good. I killed deer with it.

Sooooo......

I'm gonna go the total opposite direction as everyone else. Pay alittle bit more now and have a gun that will be very versatile.

I suggest you think about a CVA Scout 45-70 conversion. You can pick your own breech plug. 209, direct ignition or modules. You will have more options as for as powder. I know you said not interested in smokeless but you would have that possibility, if you changed your mind later, and you can shoot BH209 or any sub. I think it would meet your requirements. I think the 45-70 conversions are the best and most versatile muzzleloader going right now.

Back