Traditons vs CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadicbohunk

Reaction score
I'm going to order a new muzzleloader. I can't decide which, so I'm asking for people's thoughts and experiences. I'm going to finger them all again this weekend.

It's between a Traditions Ultralight Vortek, Traditions Persuit Ultralight, a CVA Accura MR, and a CVA Optima V2. I don't like knight rifles for whatever irrational reason or I'd probably be all about their ultralight.

It will be used in the North Eastern US (where I will be moving soon) for attempts at bears and whitetail deer. I will use it in many of the states (NY, MA, VT, and CT mainly). I will backpack with it a lot, so I want a light rifle. I've already bought a Meopro 3-9 to slap on what I get. I kind of want to get something I won't feel too bad about beating the crap out of. As far as I can tell, a scoped inline with sabots is legal in all those states.

Basically, I'm going to hike around a lot during rifle seasons and want something with me. I don't want to take one of my nice center fires all the time, so I might as well finally get a modern inline blackpowder gun like I've been putting off. If I drew a muzzy tag in the north west, CO, etc, I already have a nice gun I could borrow for that which is compliant with appropriate loads. This will only be used in the north east. Plus I kind of just want to get a bear with a muzzleloader. The only dedicated muzzleloader seasons I'll use it with is the early in NY, and CT's.

Rifle wise, I already own a NULA for smokeless and a Lyman great plains rifle. I've often borrowed an Accura V1 and a higher end of the spectrum TC dedicated muzzleloader. I'm leaving the NULA with my dad since he's a little partial to it.

I will only shoot Blackhorn 209.

Is the nitride that awesome and worth the extra money vs stainless? I mean, if I were shooting pyrodex, I'd love it, but we've never had an issue with blackhorn in a stainless rifle. I won't shoot it much at all once I work a load up. I'll probably only pop it off once every week or two to put a fresh load in.

How is the accuracy in general on the CVAs vs the Traditions? I've found a little bit on this, but not much.

Is the Accura's polished barrel that much easier to clean and that much more accurate vs the Optima?

I'm not that concerned about recoil. I can properly shoot an ultralight rifle while getting my crap rocked. I feel like a lot of folks can't. These muzzle loaders won't be nearly as bad as some of my centerfires.

One other question. That rubbery stuff on the stocks of TC's, Accuras, etc. Has anyone ever had that start to break down? It seems to me like it would over time. I'm a little leery of getting a stock with those grippy spots on it.

Any other thoughts or advice? Anyone want to tell me to get something completely different I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

TC Pro Hunter FX you can't go wrong with that. I hunt the states you mentioned it is a great rifle.

First, welcome to the group. Seems like you've already got a good knowledge of muzzleloading firearms. Guess it all boils down to "wants"or "needs". Good luck on your decision.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I’ve haven’t yet owned a CVA rifle but I have a number of them from Traditions, including 3 Pursuit XLT’s. They are far and away my favorite rifle to carry. We use 80 grains of BH209 and a 250 grain saboted bullet.

Welcome to the board! :D

Given the fact that you even considered a Knight UL... means money isn't an issue. The UL is in a class far above the others. For me personally - that is what I would go with, hands down. It'll do everything you want/need and then some. Plus its super light, super high quality, and looks fantastic.

Between the two you listed, if you absolutely aren't interested in anything outside those....I personally would pick a CVA. Get the BH209 Breechplug and you should be good to go. Personal fit/feel is probably what would determine which model is best for you. The MR is a higher level rifle than the Optima, but many really like the Optima.

Another option would be to look at TC. If you can find a like new or new old stock Omega, they are awesome rifles. I have not used a Pro Hunter, but many really like them and they have a good rep.

If the new traditions rifles still don’t come with a steel bushing around the firing pin, I would not buy one. That area in my ex-XLT pursuit started to dent from the 209 primers.

If you can find a good buy on a CVA Accura MR, that would be my first pick. The rubber grips on our CVA rifles are still like new. I've never had a barrel with the nitride treatment but I'm guessing it would be harder to mar or scratch. The Accura MR has an adjustable trigger which is nice. The Accura MR has metal sling attachment points, not plastic like the others.

For hunting the Pro-Hunter FX would be a good choice since they have improve the Accura is also a good choice every traditions I have worked on had a horrible trigger so be careful about that it definitely makes a difference in hunting accuracy especially off hand. Now I have not got my hands on one yet but I hear that the Knight 500 is something special but I do not think it was designed with hunting in mind.

I have no knowledge of Traditions but CVAs are great BP rifles, accurate, reliable, easy to clean & use & excellent CS if ever needed. I recommend that if you choose CVA that you get the Nitride version.

kygWFcyl.jpg

Accura mr. Nitride treatment is done to the stainless steel barrel on the accura. The adjustable trigger is outstanding on the accura too.
Thompson center is in MA. I am just not a fan of the new TC. A used stainless steel omega made in NH would be another good choice. But the trigger is way better on the accura.

I would go with the Optima V2 nitride simply because of cost. Use the extra money to buy a good scope mount like the DNZ Game Reaper and your BH209 plug. End result will be a rifle that is almost as light as a MR and 1" more barrel. You even have the option of a TH stock which is not offered on the MR.

If cost isnt the issue i would be all over a Knight Ultra Light. Im too fond of my NULA to have a use for one though unless they offer one in a fast twist 45cal.

Another vote for the CVA Optima V2 Nitride!! I got one just for shooting BH209 an to have a backup in nasty super cold weather in our late ML season. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with 90gr Volume BH209 and 300gr XTP/Harvester crushrib sabots. Put two more deer in the freezer first week of January with that load!!

I have an Optima V2, Accura V2 and Accura MR. I agree the Optima V2 is the best value. It shoots just as accurate as the Accura rifles. The CVA rifles are not real load picky and will shoot a variety of loads accurately. The Optima trigger is not adjustable but it is a very good trigger and breaks clean and smooth. What I really like about the Accura models is the soft touch stock, which has a kind of tacky texture and is not nearly as slick as the Optima's stock. Of the 3, my favorite is the Accura MR. I just find it to be the best balanced, best handling of the 3. I am actually selling the Accura V2 just because I always grab the MR for hunting. Mine are all nitride and for the little extra money, I think it is well worth it. To give you an idea on accuracy, the pictures are targets I shot at 100 yds. 5 shots at each target and each target is a different bullet/sabot. 110 gn BH209 was used on all loads The first set of targets was shot with my Accura V2 and the second set with my Accura MR.

Attachments

• 21200638_1984894018422567_8953143825416085232_o (1).jpg
    21200638_1984894018422567_8953143825416085232_o (1).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 578
  • 21273476_1985289861716316_6673495538173524074_o.jpg
    21273476_1985289861716316_6673495538173524074_o.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 578
Sabinajiles could you post what bullet/sabots you used?I have a Accura that I'am working on loads.I know every gun is different but your loads would be a good starting point.

BillC54 said:
Sabinajiles could you post what bullet/sabots you used?I have a Accura that I'am working on loads.I know every gun is different but your loads would be a good starting point.
I can do that. I didn't post them before because I was just illustrating to the OP an idea of the accuracy of the Accura rifles, with different loads. Both sets of targets from left to right: Hornady .45 300 gn SST & Harvester short smooth black sabot, CEB .44 250 gn Maximus & Harvester smooth green sabot, Parker .45 275 gn BE & Harvester red crush rib sabot, Hornady .429 265 gn FTX & Harvester smooth green sabot, Hornady .458 250 gn Monoflex & MMP orange HPH sabot.

To give you even more to consider this photo is 5 targets shot at 100 yds with my Accura MR, using 5 different Barnes bullets. Again, 5 shots of each bullet at each target and110 gn of BH209 was used for all loads. From left to right: 250 gn Barnes Expander MZ in supplied sabot, 250 gn Barnes TEZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot, Barnes 290 gn TEZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot, Barnes .451 275 gn XPB with MMP HPH-12 sabot, Barnes .458 300 gn TSX FB with MMP HPH orange sabot. Disclaimer: the XPB and TSX are not muzzleloader bullets. They may, or may not, fully expand at muzzleloader velocities.

Attachments

• 21427595_1986907381554564_737240167136838396_o.jpg
    21427595_1986907381554564_737240167136838396_o.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 533
Nice shooting . Was those targets shot at 100 yards ?

I have just about all the brand's .New and old . Knight is the most accurate but if Knight is out of the question without a doubt my next choice for a carry gun would be TC Omega .
They are extremely simple . This year during hunting season I switched back and forth between a Knight 500 and TC Omega. For a carry gun I preferred the Omega . With the rolling block type of action you can have a 26 inch barreled gun that seems to be short . If you have someone like Bestill cut the QLA off and have the gun recrowned it makes the gun shorter yet. I loved carrying the TC Omega . But that's just myself good luck on what ever you decide.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Nice shooting . Was those targets shot at 100 yards ?

I have just about all the brand's .New and old . Knight is the most accurate but if Knight is out of the question without a doubt my next choice for a carry gun would be TC Omega .
They are extremely simple . This year during hunting season I switched back and forth between a Knight 500 and TC Omega. For a carry gun I preferred the Omega . With the rolling block type of action you can have a 26 inch barreled gun that seems to be short . If you have someone like Bestill cut the QLA off and have the gun recrowned it makes the gun shorter yet. I loved carrying the TC Omega . But that's just myself good luck on what ever you decide.

I totally agree with the Omega suggestion and the rifle... probably the beat ML TC made and they dropped it!

In most cases if you are shooting a sabot the QLA really did not mater or effect accuracy - if shooting full bore the could be a problem. In the case of my 2 early Omegas - it really didn't matter at all.

I was on a small budget so I bought the CVA Optima NW V2 for $300. I wouldn't do it again. I should have saved up more money and bought something else.

Any CVA over any Traditions.

Of the four you listed:

#1. CVA Accura MR
#2. CVA Optima V2

Latest posts

Back