Tominator, Thunder, or TK2000?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slayerrd00

Reaction score
Trying to decide which of these to get for turkey hunting. Do the Whites perform any better than the Tk2000? Are there any adavantages or disadvantages I should consider? I know the tk can be converted to a 209 primer. Would this be that big of an advantage? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have both. Since they are slam fire, and not Blackhorn powder compatible, In my opinion, there is no advantage at all to shotgun primers. I see no performance advantage in either, they both have interchangeable chokes. knight is jug choked, white is straight rifled. Either is a 50 yard+ gun. It comes down to personal preference. For me, I kind of prefer the White, but I cant even explain why. I guess the feel to me. The next guy will probably say the opposite. Its almost 6 of one, half dozen of the other. About the only drawback, with either is, with a tight turkey choke, you have to remove them to load. With a medium squirrel/small game choke, most you can load through.

I don't have one, but a buddy has the TK and really likes it. It was a 50yd gun, as mentioned. Probably easier to find also but I don't know. I notice them on GB pretty regular it seems.

I've got both the White Thunder, and the original TK2000.

The White has a straight rifled Hastings wadlock barrel with a .665 screw in Hastings CT II choke tube.

The Knight has a smooth bore back bored barrel with a screw on jug choke.

I'll take the White over the Knight, every time.

I would have sold the Knight, but it was one of the first ones made, and the first one shipped to Michigan.

I really love my Thunder for squirrels, gets me going for the rest of the muzzleloading seasons! I haven't tried it on turkey yet, not too plentiful where I am, but no doubt it would do the deed for me...

Is he sending the extended turkey choke and other choke tubes with it? The Thunder normally only came with the flush choke tubes and a black stock. The Tominator came with all the flush tubes, the extended .665 Turkey Choke, Gray laminated stock, and a Ray Eye diaphragm call. My Thunder came with a Special Edition Mossy Oak camo stock, and everything that came with the Tominator above.

This is the wad I use for turkey loads, but I see it has been discontinued. These are unslit, and you can customize your load with 3 or 4 event spaced slits at different lengths. You'll find that there are unlimited loads when using a front stuffer.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile ... 3221201US/

These are the standard White shotcups that come with the shotgun. Good for small game loads, but not enough capacity for the best Turkey loads.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile ... o/3221203/

Is guess this would be the next best thing for Turkey loads, but it says it out of stock.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile ... 3221202US/

These will probably work, but are preslit, and very long slits. Not ideal for tightest patterns, IME.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile ... o/32212RE/

I've Tried just about every combination you can think of, and #5 shot always patterns just a bit better than #4 or #6 shot. Both with just hardened lead shot and copper plated lead shot. Powder in the 80 - 100 grain window, with Triple Se7en a good choice. I cut my own overshot wads out of the Styrofoam meat and vegetable trays with an old cheap choke tube that has been sharpened on the outer edge. This is at the threaded end where it is widest, to be slightly over bore diameter. Use two, as the second works like a jam nut would on the first. Your shot will stay put.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your new White. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks for the info Busta. It's my understanding that it comes with 3 flush tubes. The 665 is another $40 or $60. Do you have to remove the choke to load? I read some stuff saying he used to use a tapered wad so you could leave the choke in but I assume this is no longer available. Do you have to remove the choke on the tk2000?

This is the choke tube you want for turkeys. If you shop around the net using Google, you might be able to find a better price. Probably not as many stocking them today like they used to?

http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/ind ... tail&p=124

Yes in the White, but it depends on what wad and choke you are using.

The standard tapered White wads (BP12) have linear external ribs, these can be pushed through any choke. These are the same thing as the Ballistics Products BP12. If you are using the extended .665 choke and another solid base cup wad, then you'll need to remove the choke. The extended choke is easily removed and replaced by hand.

Yes you can load the Knight without removing the choke. It has a 12ga bore, with a 10ga back bored expansion chamber, that gets choked back down in the jug choke. The choke exit measures 0.722" vs 0.665" on the White/Hastings CT II.

BP12 tapered shot cups. Same exact thing as White PowerCup.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile ... o/3221203/

Unfortunately this site won't let me add all the pics I just spent a couple hours digging everything out and taking.

White and Knight chokes.

White/BP12 shot cup in White choke tube, Knight/Ballistics Products Multi-Metal shot cup in Knight jug choke.

BP Turkey Ranger shot cup on left, BP Milti-Metal shot cup on right.

It gives me an error trying to post the other pics which show in detail the components. You can see where I punched out the Styrofoam over shot wads from the meat/vegetable tray. Just turn as you push down as not to crush but cut the foam. I also have pics of all the stainless steel flush tubes, XF, MOD, IC, as well as the wrenches. Pic of several shot cups, and wool felt, card, and Styrofoam wads.

Even though you have to remove the choke for loading the turkey loads I like best, I still prefer the White over the Knight. Is a feather light in comparison, well balanced, and just a joy to carry and shoot. If you hunt upland birds, waterfowl, and other small game, you'll appreciate the ventilated rib barrel. Just an all around, more versatile gun.

The Knight is very front heavy, only has rifle sights.

You can scope either shotgun, QD rings and bases are nice so you can remove scope for other types of hunting.

Sorry about the rest of the pics, but this site does that to me all the time. It's a major reason why I seldom post here anymore.

Attachments

• 20180217_082148.jpeg
    20180217_082148.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20180217_082517.jpeg
    20180217_082517.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 128
  • 20180217_082634.jpeg
    20180217_082634.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 127
I like the same unslit wads. You can control the pattern somewhat by how many, and how far down you slit. Typically for turkey, I slit 3-4 about halfway down. When using open or medium choke for small game, i'll slit 4 all the way. you can play with how you slit and pattern them. Some guys just use the wad itself as a shot measure, I always had preloads weighed. I just used regular overshot wads brom BPI, (and also used 2) but I did some testing, and couldn't see a difference in pattern for either gun using one or 2 overshot wads. for turkey, I use #5 nickel plated shot from BPI. I think I got a 5# jug as few years ago and probably have most left. small game i just use regular lead.
If you want to waterfowl, the White is fine with steel (bismuth/heavy/...) Knight does not recommend it

Latest posts

Back