Dropping Blackhorn 209 powder charges from RCBS Uniflow?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabotloader said:
Tannhauser said:
As per Western Powders.... remember the weight to grain ration can change with each different 'lot' number of the powder. The weight to volume is not maintained from lot-to-lot like normal smokeless powder.

So what if any changes would there be when measuring by volume with two different 'lot' number of powder? Probably only way to know for sure is to shoot the new 'lot' number to be sure correct?

I use a lyman gen6 powered powder dump works good, I also have some hornady powder dumps set up for rifle and pistol and one for bh209, they work good, I like the lyman power powder dump just set it up and it dumps the same measurement over and over

toytruck said:
sabotloader said:
Tannhauser said:
As per Western Powders.... remember the weight to grain ration can change with each different 'lot' number of the powder. The weight to volume is not maintained from lot-to-lot like normal smokeless powder.

So what if any changes would there be when measuring by volume with two different 'lot' number of powder? Probably only way to know for sure is to shoot the new 'lot' number to be sure correct?
Correct. See that a lot in Smokeless too. So pretty much applies to all loose powders.

90 grains by volume will always be 90 grains by volume. What changes between the powder lots is the powder's density. Throw a dozen of the 90 grain, or whatever charge size, and weigh each one, then add up the weights, divide by twelve and that number should be the weight you use for weighing the charges. If you're doing a simple volume drop you don't have to mess with weighing.

I weigh all my charges and tube them for the range and hunting. I have my bulk powder drop set about three grains light of what my weighing weight is and use the trickler to bring the charge weight up to an exact amount based on the average weight of ten identical volume charges for the lot of powder I am currently using.

I do shoot a little FFg Triple 7 in a gun and I just hand pour the volume measure for that. Only my 209 gets weighed.

RCBS #: 9010 aka large or standard
Throws consistent charges from 0.5 grain of Bullseye to 110 grain of IMR 4350. Standard 7/8 inch by 14 thread for attaching to reloading press, furnished with stand plate for easy mounting.

twild said:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458295370/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure
Here is the one I was looking at but in the special notes it says this is for the small adjustment screw and I can't find the one for large.
Shawn I kind of like the looks of the Hornady and would be able to use both powders, I hate decisions.

That measure in your link, states that it is not for black powder. The hornady does look quite interesting. I don't bother with weighing Bp or subs just BH. I just use me volumetric measure funnel on the bottle. So I dont have a need for one like it at the moment.

90 grains by weight is still 90 grains ven if it takes more to equal from lot to lot

45cal said:
90 grains by weight is still 90 grains ven if it takes more to equal from lot to lot

You are correct! but, the same 90 grains may not produce the same pressure or velocity that the 90 grains from one lot to the next might. If you are concerned with hitting the same POI from lot to loat you will in most cases need to shift the weight of your charge somewhat.

45cal said:

90 grain by volume is 90 grains by volume, true in BP and the subs. However, since black powder and the subs [other than 209] have random granulation size its entirely possible for 90 grains of T7 FFg measured by volume could weigh at one weight if it came from the bottom of a jug where particle size is smaller yet have a different weight than the same measure by volume taken from a jug at the top where particle size is larger.

Blackhorn has amazingly consistent granulation size with very small amounts of fines at the bottom of each jug. This allows blackhorn to be measure mechanically with relative accuracy for volume. People wanting to drop 209 for an exact weight can set the drop size a grain or two light and trickle up to achieve it. Blackhorn plays well in both courts, weighed and volume.

Back