Dropping Blackhorn 209 powder charges from RCBS Uniflow?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
I use a RCBS Uniflow to measure smokeless powder charges when reload centerfire cartridges.

Can I use this powder measure to drop Blackhorn 209 charges?

I prefer to premeasure my BH209 at home and carry to the range in powder vials. I convert volume to weight of BH209, then use a scale and trickler.

Seems like it would be faster to set up my Uniflow then measure out a bunch of vials. Will the BH209 work? I wasn’t sure about grain size from blackpowder substitute.

Tannhauser said:
I use a RCBS Uniflow to measure smokeless powder charges when reload centerfire cartridges.

Can I use this powder measure to drop Blackhorn 209 charges?

I prefer to premeasure my BH209 at home and carry to the range in powder vials. I convert volume to weight of BH209, then use a scale and trickler.

Seems like it would be faster to set up my Uniflow then measure out a bunch of vials. Will the BH209 work? I wasn’t sure about grain size from blackpowder substitute.

As per Western Powders.... remember the weight to grain ration can change with each different 'lot' number of the powder. The weight to volume is not maintained from lot-to-lot like normal smokeless powder.

+2 on using the rcbs uniflow measure and powder trickler, I wipe every thing down with a used dryer sheet before adding the powder. Its a fast and efficient procedure, no powder loss. Charges go into lanes tubes .

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Thanks for replies. I’m going to use my Uniflow to set up charges for a couple of range sessions. With no swabbing needed, I find I can really burn the BH209.

I’m working from a single large container of BH209 so I know my current weight to volume conversion is accurate.

Forgive me if I ask something ignorant but have no experience with these. I have thought about getting this setup because it looks fast with no mess. Couple questions the one I have seen comes setup to drop 50gr's how does this work if you want to shoot105gr? And I see you talking about different weights from bottle to bottle but isn't this thing measuring volume? Ok have at it educate me please.

IMG_2800.JPG

One adjusts the volume dropped by the Uniflow powder measure, by turning the stem the red arrow is pointing to.

twild said:
Forgive me if I ask something ignorant but have no experience with these. I have thought about getting this setup because it looks fast with no mess. Couple questions the one I have seen comes setup to drop 50gr's how does this work if you want to shoot105gr? And I see you talking about different weights from bottle to bottle but isn't this thing measuring volume? Ok have at it educate me please.
Some of the "Bench Rest" type measures only went to about 50gns, Redding makes one like that. If you have one of them just adjust to half the target weight and throw twice. I do that with a Lee Perfect measure. The Standard RCBS or Redding will adjust to throw it all at one throw.

Ok I looked at Midway they have a large or small Micrometer Adjustment screw and the large goes from 5-110gr's. So I guess one wants the large, might have to try one of these with some birthday money. Thanks

I have a Redding throw and with some of the larger powder kernels I get a bit of "crunching" when throwing. I would think Triple 7 might work but I think the larger kernels in BH209 won't work very well in mine.

Re: RE: Re: Dropping Blackhorn 209 powder charges from RCBS Uniflow?

twild said:
Ok I looked at Midway they have a large or small Micrometer Adjustment screw and the large goes from 5-110gr's. So I guess one wants the large, might have to try one of these with some birthday money. Thanks
Look on Ebay, theres several listed there.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

ShawnT said:
twild said:
Some of the "Bench Rest" type measures only went to about 50gns, Redding makes one like that. If you have one of them just adjust to half the target weight and throw twice. I do that with a Lee Perfect measure. The Standard RCBS or Redding will adjust to throw it all at one throw.

Redding BR-30, i use to own 1, It had a low capacity of 50 Grains (depending on powder of course) mine came with an extra metering chamber for pistol which was way less yet, seems like it was only 10-15 Grains?

I also owned a Redding 3BR that threw large charges, i didn’t use them anymore, they sat and collected dust so i sold them.

tpcollins said:
I have a Redding throw and with some of the larger powder kernels I get a bit of "crunching" when throwing. I would think Triple 7 might work but I think the larger kernels in BH209 won't work very well in mine.
Please be aware that most of these type powder measures tell you NOT to use black powder or subs in them. BH is a smokeless type sub so it is not a problem. There are a couple measures made that could be used with BP or subs, those have brass metering drums to prevent static discharges. Harrell's makes one of these designed for the cowboy shooters. The Measure I use that works pretty good is the little Lee Perfect. It is all plastic. I have had one for many years. It is small, lite and fits in my range box, and don't sheer powder kernels much at all. I use it a lot with BH. But it is not rated for BP or Subs. It will not throw 100gns well so I set it for half, throw twice and trickle up. I have had the RCBS, and the Redding BR 30 but sold those when I was shooting benchrest competitively and stepped up to a Jones (stainless &brass) back then. But for the cost of one of these you could get a RCBS Charge master, or several of the others.

tpcollins said:

I do the 209 powder and find the granule size to be very, very consistent and basically free of any odd sized particles. Maybe the bushing between the hopper and the charge tube is shot. I use a Hornady powder measure and never have any noise or crunching.

ShawnT said:
tpcollins said:
Please be aware that most of these type powder measures tell you NOT to use black powder or subs in them. BH is a smokeless type sub so it is not a problem. There are a couple measures made that could be used with BP or subs, those have brass metering drums to prevent static discharges. Harrell's makes one of these designed for the cowboy shooters. One other measure that actually works pretty good is the little Lee Perfect. It is all plastic. I have had one for many years. It is small, lite and fits in my range box, and don't sheer powder kernels much at all. I use it a lot with BH. It will not throw 100gns so I set it for half, throw twice and trickle up. I have had the RCBS, and the Redding BR 30 but sold those when it was shooting benchrest competitively and stepped up to a Jones (stainless &brass) back then. But for the cost of one of these you could get a RCBS Charge master, or several of the others.

Shawn, I'd like to use it for BH and 777 so which one would you suggest? I understand the throw twice part but not the trickle up. I figured this is measuring by volume so the trickling is throwing me off. Hmm maybe this isn't as easy as I was thinking.

Using a powder trickler lets you add a single grain of powder at a time to get super serious weighed charges. Say you want a charge of 65 grains and your powder measure throws 64.2 grains consistently. The trickler allows you to add very tiny amounts of powder at a time to bring the weight up to the 65 grains.

If all you want to throw is a volume measure you won't need to mess with the trickler.

I had to do some real digging on the Lee site to find this as it was not exactly right were you could find it.

In the LEE manual it states.....
'''''Because black powder
explodes in bulk, it should not be used in this
powder measure. """""""

So i was clearly wrong in thinking it is ok for 777. I guess since plastic can and will hold static BP is not recommended.

I checked Harrell's but he don't show the old one he made for BP/cowboy shooters now.

Here are the other 2 that I know of available.

RCBS
http://rcbs.com/Products/Powder-Measure ... asure.aspx

Here is a Hornady that is in stock at Sinclair.
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading- ... 37898.aspx

Sinclair shows the RCBS but it is out of stock.
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading- ... 39692.aspx

If you find a supply site for Cowboy action shooters you might find something else.

Might be others but this is all I know of at the moment.

I have a rcbs powder dump it's new but was left outside on a shelf and its weathered a bit, bought it at a garage sale, might clean up I'll post it on the classifieds if someone wants to give it a try for cheap

Hac said:
I have a rcbs powder dump it's new but was left outside on a shelf and its weathered a bit, bought it at a garage sale, might clean up I'll post it on the classifieds if someone wants to give it a try for cheap
Cleaned up it would be ok for BH but not BP or subs.

Back