225gr 44 cal Hornady FTX on whitetails out to 150yards (maybe 200)?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I killed a buck last year with my 44 rifle it did alright . There a couple of videos on youtube where guys test the bullet from a 44 rifle factory ammo . The bullet came apart BOTH TIMES ! :(

I just want to point out that according to the several techs I've spoken with at Hornady...The velocity range posted by Hornady for their bullets is what they were tested for. Some higher and some lower depending upon cartridges they might be used with. This simply means they functioned as tested in that range...Some bullets with narrower test ranges simply weren't tested at broader ranges because their intended application didn't require it..
For example: a .277 120gr SST has listing of 2000-3000fps..yet a .277 110gr SP/HP has a 2900-3500 listing..The .277 120gr is designed for the 6.8SPC which runs in that range, and the .277 110gr SP/HP is marketed for the 270 Win/WSM/Wby... All SST's use a thicker jacket than the interlocks/xtp lines as that's how they control expansion.
If you don't believe me...call Hornady, but I highly discourage others from taking these numbers as gospel on their operating range limitations, as thats not correct.

I believe Dennis is going to discontinue the lead tip bullets in favor of the star tips. I've got a box of the 40/225's and 45/275's star tips waiting to try. Just need a low wind day.

qwakattak said:
I believe Dennis is going to discontinue the lead tip bullets in favor of the star tips. I've got a box of the 40/225's and 45/275's star tips waiting to try. Just need a low wind day.
The Fury 45/275 gn star tips shoot great in a sabot out of my Accura MR and Omega. I didn't have an opportunity to shoot a deer with them but I've seen some pictures of kills made with them from smokeless rifles and they performed exceptionally well. The Fury 45/275 & 45/300 gn FATs shoot one hole at 100 yds out of my McRem smokeless but are probably too long to use in
a smoker with a sabot.

Back