no excuse 600 gr pic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heres a pic of my 600 gr no excuse that just arrived, Dave seems to of adopted a new lube which I like better then his old waxy globby lube, but he just needs to make this lube a bit tackier. All I can say about conical is it BIG :D

30adifa.jpg

dbowling said:
Heres a pic of my 600 gr no excuse that just arrived, Dave seems to of adopted a new lube which I like better then his old waxy globby lube, but he just needs to make this lube a bit tackier. All I can say about conical is it BIG :D

30adifa.jpg
I got mine also , or at least 3 boxes of them. When I picked up the box at the post office it was all busted up and had a big opening in the side . I get home and find that it only had 3 boxes in it , the others must have fallen out . Guess they are big and heavy :). To heavy for a U S postal priority box :)
To cold to shoot today though. Wind chill was -22 when I went out earlier . But they look nice and I am sure they will shoot as good as my old 600 power punch
Think I might try them in a Bison .

yeah I only had 2 boxes and my priority box was tore open and they were just about to fall out.. I emailed Dave and let him know he needs to reinforce his boxes with more tape. After looking at the lube some more its actually tacky enough just the one I took out of box was a little messy, the others seem fine.

Did you try them out yet ? I shot some with 120 gr powder . Not sure I want to do that very often . I think I will sight it in with that load but forego any practicing . :)

no not yet maybe tomorrow, why in the heck would you want to shoot them with 120 gr. of powder.. With 90 gr they will shoot front to rear on a Elk easy I imagine. Seems like it would lead the heck out of your barrel too.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Did you try them out yet ? I shot some with 120 gr powder . Not sure I want to do that very often . I think I will sight it in with that load but forego any practicing . :)

Must have went thru Miami based on the looks of the lube...
The nose looks pitted?
Just get it going around the speed of sound and it should do fine..

dbowling said:
no not yet maybe tomorrow, why in the heck would you want to shoot them with 120 gr. of powder.. With 90 gr they will shoot front to rear on a Elk easy I imagine. Seems like it would lead the heck out of your barrel too.

1874sharpsshooter said:
I hope the wad stops the leading . I was thinking with a 120 gr that it would buck the prairie wind :) but I think I will try 90 next time out and see how that feels . 5 inch scope relief was barely enough .

Try 90 to 100 grn of Swiss 1 1/2 shoots slow but keeps on going. Shot against Bestill at Nationals with that load at 500 yds. Of course he won but I was second

45cal said:
Try 90 to 100 grn of Swiss 1 1/2 shoots slow but keeps on going. Shot against Bestill at Nationals with that load at 500 yds. Of course he won but I was second
Thanks . I don't have any 1 1/2 but if I get some I will give it a try. The black mz might be close to the grain size of 1 1/2 might try that also. I definitely have to reduce the recoil. it's to much for my liking.

1874sharpsshooter said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I wouldn't want to stand behind that for even one shot I don't think. I don't own any eye/nose scope protection currently.
90 probably will kick hard, but much more manageable and I can't imagine there is anything you couldn't kill very effectively with that load.

1874sharpsshooter said:

Man, I bet that gets your attention. For me. shooting my 451 Whites 75gr of 777-3F or Swiss 3F with my 465gr conicals is enough for me. Plus I have complete confidence it will cleanly harvest any game in this continent. Except maybe the big bears, then I would go with something that I can reload quickly or be able to outrun my hunting partner. LOL

that is reason 50-90 sharps was so poplar with buffalo hunters, killed good

I am sending my Grim Reaper off to Jeff and have him do a custom build with it .
Remington 700ml
Boyd’s stock
He will take and add :

50 cal Brux barrel 27” .50/.510
Asg Breech plug kit
Hunter nose bolt etc .
Then I will see how that conical shoots :)
It actually shoots pretty good as is but I prefer a 1:24 twist so that’s the main reason for the conversion :)
Plus it should have less felt recoil than the White

Attachments

• 88ECFE17-CF6D-4393-A3DC-D4164A5E75B0.jpeg
    88ECFE17-CF6D-4393-A3DC-D4164A5E75B0.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 303
  • F90B6736-BF9B-4060-A2BD-C9932336FC1A.jpeg
    F90B6736-BF9B-4060-A2BD-C9932336FC1A.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 459360AD-E5BE-45E8-BDCA-6A80A273166F.jpeg
    459360AD-E5BE-45E8-BDCA-6A80A273166F.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 303
Shot some of the 600`s from my White Bison today with 80 gr Graf 3f, shot 10 shots at 52-54 yds, didn't get any groups as 1st 5 shots were so far left couldn't see them hitting edge of paper..
Finally walked down and seen where they were hitting, loaded and shot 5 more on shot 2 noticed my scope ring had vibrated loose in the weaver mount and was moving around.. on 3rd shot hit about 5 inches high and 4 in left of X, adjusted scope and shot last 2 and they never even hit paper so the 600`s may of just destroyed a Burris scope :(
With the 80`s grains it kicks about like a 20 ga shotgun but is more of a hard push then a slap so not too bad, don't want to find out what 120 gr. is like.

Re: RE: Re: no excuse 600 gr pic

dbowling said:
Shot some of the 600`s from my White Bison today with 80 gr Graf 3f, shot 10 shots at 52-54 yds, didn't get any groups as 1st 5 shots were so far left couldn't see them hitting edge of paper..
Finally walked down and seen where they were hitting, loaded and shot 5 more on shot 2 noticed my scope ring had vibrated loose in the weaver mount and was moving around.. on 3rd shot hit about 5 inches high and 4 in left of X, adjusted scope and shot last 2 and they never even hit paper so the 600`s may of just destroyed a Burris scope :(
With the 80`s grains it kicks about like a 20 ga shotgun but is more of a hard push then a slap so not too bad, don't want to find out what 120 gr. is like.
80-90 grs plenty I shoot my 600's out of my super safari these whites love big heavy bullets whatever you hit is going down !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: no excuse 600 gr pic

Fmfdred56 said:
im going to use them for armor plated prairie dogs
You don't have to worry about missing the bullets bigger than the prairie dog !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back