Best 2018 Inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy....

I like my CVAs, but I can already hear the White and Knight guys teaming up with the Remington dudes for some commentary. lol

Best Long Range Muzzleloader? I might have a little different opinion.......

"While the Mountaineer was the most accurate of the group, the shorter barrel compared to the Vortek and Accura LR resulted in lower velocities. At the end of the day, the true winner was the CVA Accura LR. This gun offered the best combination of value, accuracy, velocity, and overall ease of use for the shooter."

I'd much rather have the most accurate rifle myself.

ENCORE50A said:

"While the Mountaineer was the most accurate of the group, the shorter barrel compared to the Vortek and Accura LR resulted in lower velocities. At the end of the day, the true winner was the CVA Accura LR. This gun offered the best combination of value, accuracy, velocity, and overall ease of use for the shooter."

Same for me. Ain't no compensating for accuracy.

Lets break this down a bit

Best Long Range Muzzleloader
The guns that we considered for this category were the Knight Mountaineer, Remington 700 UML, CVA Accura LR, and Traditions Vortek StrikerFire LDR. When the accuracy was truly broken down, we were able to find that by tuning the correct powder load, each of these guns was able to shoot a 1” or better group at 100 yards. While the Mountaineer was the most accurate of the group. At the end of the day, the true winner was the CVA Accura LR

Well 100 yards isnt much of a long range and accuracy is king in long range. The Mountaineer won that and has done so even at Friendship. Price really should be way down the list in this game. If you cant afford it get closer.

Best Mountain Hunting Muzzleloader
When considering hunting in the western mountains, we compared the CVA Accura MR, Traditions Vortek StrikerFire BackCountry, Knight Ultra-Lite, and Thompson Center Triumph. While all of these guns were built on lightweight platforms, the Knight was by far the lightest gun in the group, while the Triumph ended up being the heaviest. While the CVA and Traditions are easier to clean, we still felt that the Knight Ultra-Lite was the clear winner in this category. This gun is designed with every lightweight component and feature that you could ask for, while still offering incredible accuracy and build quality.

Wow, they actually got this one right. My NULA with a custom 26" barrel comes in a little over 7lbs ready to hunt. That kind of quality/accuracy dont come cheap and its worth every penny.

Most Versatile Muzzleloader
For hunting in multiple states and terrains, you need a muzzleloader that offers the best compromise of long-range, packability and weather protection. The muzzleloaders that we considered for the ‘Most Versatile Muzzleloader’ category are the CVA Accura Plains Rifle, Knight Bighorn, Traditions Vortek StrikerFire LDR, and Thompson/Center Triumph Bone Collector. When considering the features needed for a versatile muzzleloader, we chose the Traditions Vortek StrikerFire LDR

Most versatile needs to be able to comply with PacNW easily. I also have a hard time considering a 30" barrel as most versatile. It adds very little velocity. They did not even consider the Optima V2 Nitride. Pretty simple to convert it back and forth.

Best Mid-Range Muzzleloader
We considered the CVA Optima V2 Nitride, Traditions Pursuit G4 Hardwoods, Knight Bighorn, Thompson Center Triumph, and Lyman Mustang. Out of these muzzleloaders, we believe that the Traditions Pursuit G4 Hardwoods is the best in this class

First year available and they already claim it to be the winner? The Optima V2 is well proven and offers clear advantages over the Traditions such as SS under the nitride and a removable firing pin bushing made of steel.

Best Economy Muzzleloader
For this class, we compared the CVA Wolf Nitride, Traditions Buckstalker, Knight Wolverine, and Thompson/Center Impact. Overall, we believe that the CVA Wolf Nitride offers the best mix of value and features in this class

The base Optima V2 is actually just as inexpensive as a Wolf Nitride. Many people dont know it but you can buy youth/compact stocks for the Scout V2 that will fit the Optima also. Sort of a toss up on this one but i feel the Optima is a bit better quality and close enough in cost.

Best Youth Muzzleloader
The Traditions Buckstalker Youth, Knight Littlehorn, and Thompson/Center Impact are three great options for youth muzzleloader hunters. When comparing these three, it was difficult to determine which of the three would be the best youth muzzleloader. Overall, it is hard to deny that the Knight Littlehorn is the best youth muzzleloader on the market;

All of these are reasonable choices although Traditions still leaves me feeling blah. Nothing they offer does a thing for me. I cant imagine why they didnt include a Wolf or Optima with a youth stock.

To each his own, a lot depends on your budget, everyone likes a different flavor. Its like asking whats your favorite beer. I have a pile to choose from, and have the favorites, but half the time I get a wild hair and grab from the bottom just because. I do seem to like a heavy gun most of the time, I guess hunting style matters as much as anything for gun preferences.

This is not a question or the answer to one it is using the forum to advertise.
Beyond that the question that comes to mind is best for what; look at the winners at friendship for competition guns Knight comes out way ahead, look at the pro hunter for the capability to be adjusted to the needs of a hunter the after market capabilities are very wide ranging; look at the Triumph for the best quality dollar for dollar. if you want cheap and don't care much about quality then Traditions is best; then there is the next step up from Traditions which would be CVA the best for advertising,

ENCORE50A said:

That is soooo funny I thought the same exact thing while reading !

WV Hunter said:
They gotta spread the love around... it helps sales of all brands. :D
I agree, they are in the business of selling each.
Kinda reminds me of 'Upward' bball or soccer - everyone wins and gets a medal.

Lee 9 said:
This is not a question or the answer to one it is using the forum to advertise.
Beyond that the question that comes to mind is best for what; look at the winners at friendship for competition guns Knight comes out way ahead, look at the pro hunter for the capability to be adjusted to the needs of a hunter the after market capabilities are very wide ranging; look at the Triumph for the best quality dollar for dollar. if you want cheap and don't care much about quality then Traditions is best; then there is the next step up from Traditions which would be CVA the best for advertising,
Exactly. Just advertising. More typical rhetoric . Every brand is a winner in some category so buy from us . 25% off
hablar español amigo ?

It's totally meant to be advertising in my opinion. I'm not understanding the "espanol" references. What's that about?

I'm relatively new here and have lots to learn. Which guns are made in Spain? Where are all these brands made?

Bones816 said:
I'm relatively new here and have lots to learn. Which guns are made in Spain? Where are all these brands made?
CVA. Bergara is a Spanish company.

Next door neighbors to the Italian gun makers. Lots of good guns come out of Europe. Including Spain.

Back