Tightening CVA optima Action (Hinge Pin)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender6

Reaction score
Now that I am retired I am going through all my muzzleloaders and doing the improvements this board has discovered over the last 5-10 years, like shimming breech plug. I have a CVA Optima that the action is loose on the hinge pin. What is the best way to tighted it up? I stuck a cleaning patch on the hinge pin and it is tight for now. Is there a better permanent solution? Like shim stock or aluminum foil?

Thanks

An over size hinge pin is the correct fix ( costly). Id probably use shim stock, feeler gauges, etc, epoxied in place. Good luck.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

You might try calling Bellm and talk to him about a reamer and an oversize pin.

Does the barrel wiggle with the action closed?

I believe the Optima is similar to the Accura with the barrel to action setup, please correct me if I'm wrong. You will have some wiggle with the action open but if you have a good fit there won't be any wiggle with the action closed.

I don't think an oversized hinge pin is available for the Optima.

Is this an Optima V2?

It is an older optima, it wiggles with the action closed, I put a cleaning patch on the hinge pin and shut it and the play went away, I don't think they make an oversize pun that I can find. I have got some oversize pins for my encore's from Bellm but don't see any for CVA

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He has the tools to machine one if you can talk him into it.

Back