Sabot + Bullet total diameters+ primer dimensions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunter8282 said:
Is it just me or do the 2 primer length charts contradict themselves a little?

No, it is not just you. I know my chart was accurate at the time it was made, with 10 randomly chosen primers from each box, and that particular lot number. If you read the fine print on the bottom, it will explain that these results could be different with 10 different primers from the exact same box or lot number.

My last purchase of Winchester W209's resulted with measurements that are shorter than previous primers. These are more in line with the measurements of CCI and Fed primers.

It is nice that they are much closer in length, but the big drawback is that the Muzzleloader Manufacturers are making their primer headspace to the maximum primer length. I don't know if this was an engineering change at Winchester, or just the run on this lot number.

I have several custom breech plugs that the headspace was set for several different primers. Now I can use my CCI/FED plugs to shoot these newer/shorter WIN primers, so that is a good thing. However I will not be getting rid of my old WIN headspaced breech plugs, because the next lot of primers might average 0.005" longer than thes new ones again. Of course the longer headspaced breech plugs will shoot all the primers, but I get ZERO blowback with my fitted plugs. Unless you get lucky, the factory OEM breech plugs will probably leak blowback, especially with the shorter primers.

Sounds anal, but I HATE blowback, and I will go to great lengths to keep it out of my rifles.

Thanks Busta!

With my OEM Optima plug using O-rings and Fed209A I was getting zero blow back it was beautiful! But I couldn't shoot BH209 reliably.

With my new Western powders BH209 plug using O-rings and Fed209A I am getting a little blow back but I can shot BH209.

I also have some Winchester 209 primers that seem longer than the Feds and at times I have had to really slam it shut in order to pull the hammer back using the OEM Optima plug. I guess I'll try those in new BH209 plug.

I was hoping that the CCI Magnums were of a length that was between W209 and Fed209A but I guess that can't be said for certain.

Found some additional primer dimension findings in a chart that was posted on another website. This chart covers some primer brands not often discussed here as well as some of the usual brands.

331d3jb.jpg

Does "MMP short old form", correspond to the std MMP black sabots?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

original image size changed.
WOW i needed this years ago thank you for the link
loaded with solid info.

EDIT: image size reduced to fit forum bounding box size. 675 pixels in width

I'm surprised this forum room hasn't any stickies for threads like this, for this is vital information and I'm sure some other topics and threads here are vital also.

I would suggest one main folder showing at/near the top of the page..... then sub-folder threads with different topics inside the main folder.

TripleSe7en said:
I'm surprised this forum room hasn't any stickies for threads like this, for this is vital information and I'm sure some other topics and threads here are vital also.

I would suggest one main folder showing at/near the top of the page..... then sub-folder threads with different topics inside the main folder.

It is in the STICKY class.. that is why it has the little icon on the left and it always stays at the top of the page.

mike

Excellent info guys! This helps explain what Ive been experiencing playing with different bullet/sabot combos.

Does anyone know which black sabot come with the TC shockwaves? Im not sure if its one of the black sabots pictured. Im hoping someone knows which it is.

Recent manufacture Remington .50 250GR Accutip (Barnes) with green sabot 0.502''
Recent manufacture Barnes TMZ .50 250GR yellow sabot 0.506''

Re:

flati said:
I'm shooting a Thompson Center Encore .50, how do I use this information to select the best (most accurate) bullet/sabot combo?

My Tc Prohunter 50cal is right at .500 and from what I have read all the TC’s are. The Hornady 250gr or 300gr SST with the red 3 petal ez sabot that comes with the Hornady bullets shoots great out of my gun. From what I have read the Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots are excellent out of the TC’s but I haven’t tried them yet.

I sighted in to get it on paper with the Tc Shockwave 250gr bullets with the yellow sabots and blue tips and they where to hard to get down the barrel. The Hornady’s worked better and didn’t make a second shot with dirty barrel impossible.

johndeere506 said:
Excellent info guys! This helps explain what Ive been experiencing playing with different bullet/sabot combos.

Does anyone know which black sabot come with the TC shockwaves? Im not sure if its one of the black sabots pictured. Im hoping someone knows which it is.

It should be the MMP Black sabots in the picture.

Back