Sabot + Bullet total diameters+ primer dimensions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
sg1kyw.jpg

Loaded_Sabot_Chart_XLS.png

142rfkj.jpg

Graphics by Underclocked Express

Primer Data Information - compiler: smyrnagc

ABPi4ef.png

Can you provide this information as to Precision Rifle Bullets and what these are in the MMP and other brand sabots for;

QT-180 50 Cal
QT-195 50 Cal
QT-215 50 Cal
QT-250 50 Cal
QT-300 50 Cal

DC-260 50 Cal
DC-300 50 Cal

What are the diameters of these and who might be the supplier of the Sabots for these if anyone knows? They have Blue, Green and Black Sabots depending on the grain size.

Thanks for the picture and information on those mentioned above.

Helpful Information.

Mike / LFM

Busta & Big6x67,

Very nicely presented. Thanks!

I am curious about how & where your measurements were taken. It's been 12 - 18 months ago that I tried to take some measurements. If I remember correctly, there was a difference of 2-3 thousandths with just the amount of pressure applied to the calipers. Also a difference of where measured ie. end, middle or towards the base of the sabot.
Thanks guys!

My measurements were taken on the petals in the center of the bearing surface (straight walls) of the bullet w/sabot. The base of the sabots would be different measurements, as well as the sabot at the ogive, but they really don't play a part until you trip the trigger.

Also that Knight PBT/Barnes TMZ on the right is 290 grains instead of 300 grains. I think that was a typo from the graphics department. :lol:

I'm shooting a Thompson Center Encore .50, how do I use this information to select the best (most accurate) bullet/sabot combo?

Thanks for the information. I now know why those Black Harvester's with a 240 gn XTP shot so well in my White Lightning.

flati said:
I'm shooting a Thompson Center Encore .50, how do I use this information to select the best (most accurate) bullet/sabot combo?

For the most accurate load you need to have a pretty tight bullet sabot combination in you barrel. The diameters of the sabots will help you achieve that. Same goes for to tight of a load. Check the measurements and go with a thinner sabot so the bullet sabot combiation loads easier. It sounds easy, but you really need to shoot a few combiations in your Muzzleloadeer to see what it likes.

If you cant achieve the accuracy you are looking for, you probably need to switch bullets. Usually starting out with Hornady bullets helps to achieve how accurate your Muzzleloader really is.

More 50 cal Loaded Sabot Diameters

More data to share, a joint project of sabotloader and kingofcoins:
Loaded_Sabot_Chart_XLS.png

I measured some more sabots today, if anyone is interested? It ate my last post so this one is going to be short and sweet. :lol: Some day I will learn to copy before hitting submit.

229.jpg

Left to Right.
T/C Green Super 45 XR 9.45/.40) Sabot with 180 gr .400" XTP Magnum Bullet = .459"
Harvester Blue Crush Rib (.45/.40) Sabot with 200 gr .400" SST Bullet = .454"
Hornady Tan SST (.45/.40) Sabot with 200 gr .400" SST Bullet = .456"

233.jpg

Left to Right.
T/C Blue Shockwave (.50/.40) Sabot with 200 gr .400" Shockwave Bullet = .506"
Nosler Olive Green Partition-HG (.50/.429) Hunting Sabot with 250 gr .429" Partition Bullet = .502"

Those Noslers might work well in the tight T/C bores?

after looking at this and REALLY paying attention i figured that the sabots i bought from cabelas that were supposed to be the hph 12 or 24s which is the ones that come with the SW i wanted to use with the gold dot 45 colt .452 gdhp 250 grain bullet, they sent me the mmp short black. Using that sabot the GD hits all over the place but if you use a SW sabot they hit in the same spot as the SW.

Anyone want some short blacks at a real good deal?

okay if what I'm reading is true....

I have aissue with my LRH perhaps having a bit larger bore. The Harvester .45//50 sabot I have been using is a 300gr crushed rib. That measures out at 0.498" at the base. I was told to try a hph12 or hph24 so I ordered both. Figure if its way to hard to load in the gun I can just toss them away. Pretty much the lady told me over the phone...

However the hph12 measures the same as the sabot I'm having a issue with being a bit too small and the hph24 is even smaller with a 0.497"

Thats the bases measurement. Now when I load the bullet does a thicker plastic on the sabot make the difference? Lost...and not sure of the appreasions (sp?) you guys are using. Really new to this.

earnhard3,

All the bases of the sabots will be under bore size, otherwise they would never get started in the bore. The cup on the powder end will expand and fill the bore upon ignition.

The part you want to measure is the sabot petals that encompass the bullet. This would be the total diameter of the sabot with bullet on the petals about half way up the bullets paralell sides. That is where you will get the proper measurement for your bore size. You will usually have around .002" to about .004" of compression for a tight fit in your bore.

Example:

Your bore measures .502", you will want a sabot/bullet combination that measures at least .503" to around .506" in my experience. Some rifles like a tighter combination, some might shoot better on the looser end. You will be able to figure it out when you get your other sabots.

Go back up top and you will have some pics with the measurements for a guide. Dont worry about the base measurement of the sabots, they will expand when you seat your bullet on the charge, that is why they are shaped the way they are.

flati said:

Without slugging your barrel, it may not help a lot until you try some and see if the work or not, and then at least you have a starting point to go larger or smaller in diameter.

One thing the primer information will tell you, however, is that the std. Winchester (Blue Box) primers probably won't work in your Encore. They won't work in mine consistently, to the point that I cannot even close the action.

OptimaAndy said:
after looking at this and REALLY paying attention i figured that the sabots i bought from cabelas that were supposed to be the hph 12 or 24s which is the ones that come with the SW i wanted to use with the gold dot 45 colt .452 gdhp 250 grain bullet, they sent me the mmp short black. Using that sabot the GD hits all over the place but if you use a SW sabot they hit in the same spot as the SW.

Anyone want some short blacks at a real good deal?

Nah, but try the MMP std. blacks for those .452's. That's what I use for my 250 gr. .452 XTP's and they rock.

Just wanted to add some to the list.

1) .429 265 gr. Hornady FTX in a Hornady Green sabot .429/.430 (.506)
2) .458 325 gr. Hornady FTX in a Hornady Low Drag 3 petal .452 (.505)

Latest posts

Back