45-70 Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies to my " Cost Thread ".

Based on the feedback, a 45-70 Conversion would be the low cost entry to try Smokeless. So the options are:

H&R Handi Series.
Knight KP-1
CVA Apex
CVA Stalker
Encore Series

If I'm not mistaken, I've read about trigger group issues with all of the above. Does this just come with the territory for a break open? I'm found of the triggers in my Knights and have set them all to break in my comfort zone.

Any thoughts from those of you who own these?

From what I understand the Apex has an adjustable trigger. I am unsure of the others. However I know a treatment I learned while in the military. Run hot boiling water threw the action so it gets very hot what it does is open the pores in the metal then soak with rem oil. Then let cool then wipe the best you can. Do this treatment couple times and it will loosen the trigger. Another guy in this forum did this and it loosened the trigger up 3lbs or more.

Good luck!

I'm very in.terested in this conversion please post more on this subject.I think the H&R handi rifle would be an awsome muzzy.

junkman said:
I'm very in.terested in this conversion please post more on this subject.I think the H&R handi rifle would be an awsome muzzy.

Go to Dougs Message Board. Everything that you want to know about these conversions can be found there.

junkman said:

Talk to Slufoot on Doug's message board. He does the conversion and shoots allot of H&R conversions. He would be the guy to talk too.

Once you go smokeless you'll be done with black powder! :)

River Rat said:
junkman said:

Talk to Slufoot on Doug's message board. He does the conversion and shoots allot of H&R conversions. He would be the guy to talk too.

Once you go smokeless you'll be done with black powder! :)

I'm a little afraid of that. What do I do with all these Black Powder guns I've been working on.

A serious question: Is there a big advantage, besides cleaning, over BH 209? I shoot my Knight 45's with 110 grains of BH and think I get somewhere between 2100 & 2200 FPS. How much more does a guy want/need?

I know the sabotless projectile would be an option with a faster twist but what else would I be gaining?

FYI. Slufoot says buy a 45-70 CVA Apex. I'm keeping my eye out for one but I'm kind off anti CVA for a reason I can't quite explain.

Less recoil, more velocity, less drop from 100 to 200yds. You can watch the impact thru the scope when you pull the trigger :D You won't go wrong with a CVA Apex. Slufoot was impressed with the barrel quality of the Apex's when he threaded the first one for Carlos. He has done many Apex's since and his work is great with zero complaints.

Cheaper than BH209 also!!!

My plinking loads do have less recoil than a BH209 load with slightly less fps. Granted mine is heavy but a 200gr bullet at 2400fps+ is a cream puff to shoot and it can be done with MUCH less powder. Much less cheaper and cleaner powder. :D

Powder selection is also far superior. You can still shoot all the subs plus way more smokeless powders options. Even some of the slightly faster powders used in smokeless 50cals work in smaller amounts. 40gr of SR4759 will get a 200gr bullet over 2400fps with room to spare. 35ish grains of N110 will easily get into the 2200fps range or more. You wont believe clean until you shoot some N110. :p I don't use it in my 45cal but in the ULA its super clean.

If i was going to build a break action, i would look at the Apex. Mainly just based on price, decent adjustable trigger and all SS. The Ability to add a regular 50cal ML barrel for states that require it would be a plus too. They need to offer the Euro model laminate stocks here!!!

On those conversions does the new breech plug reach all the way to the rifling?Or is there a space between where the plug ends and the rifling starts?

The Savage breech plug takes up the chamber. You can look down the bore and see the rifling goes all the way to the installed plug.

The Encore platform triggers are EASY and cheap to change to the pull you want. A little work and its as good as any other trigger...

Larry,I started out with a standard contour 45/70 encore conversion and liked it alot then I ordered a MGM full bull barrel and had it converted and it shoots great. Now I have a 700ml stainless action I am in the process of converting to smokeless.It is addictive but the cost of shooting smokeless compared to BH209 is a plus.

Larry,I started out with a standard contour 45/70 encore conversion and liked it alot then I ordered a MGM full bull barrel and had it converted and it shoots great. Now I have a 700ml stainless action I am in the process of converting to smokeless.It is addictive but the cost of shooting smokeless compared to BH209 is a plus.

I ordered a 45/70 berraga barrel for my optima elite and had Slufoot do the conversion. This is the end result on paper 3 shot group at 100 yards.

Nice shooting is right!

What's the load details?

Thanks guys, that was a group I shot last year.

12/55 4759/4198
250 SST
Win 209 primer
Right around 2700 f/s

I've switched to a McRem shooting out to 500 yards with 300 SST in that running around 2550.

I can hold a 1 3/4" group at 300 yards with the McRem.

This stuff is addicting and already thinking of another build, you just can't have one.

Latest posts

Back