Pro hunter conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpfuzz

Reaction score
Hi all,new guy here,anyhow has anyone got and tried the smokeless conversion on the Pro Hunter frame?? Thinkin on getting one and just needed some info on it..Thanks..

What info do you need?. I know superkirby and omega45 both have pro hunter conversions, hopefully one of them chimes in.

just wondering if the performance was any better than what it was before,and if its worth the $$ to do it..

Smokeless performance is noticeably better than most smokers. FPS over 2300fps is not uncommon for a 50cal and over 2500fps for a 45cal. My 45 will top 2700fps without breaking a sweat.

The biggest benefit to me is leaving the barrel fouled for extended periods without the fear of corrosion. I can sightin in October and hunt in November without a first shot change in point of impact.

SMI uses Douglas barrels and IMO they are far better than OEM. I adore the Douglas Prem XX barrel on my ULA 50cal. I would suggest getting a SMI in no slower than 1-32 twist and as fast as 1-24 for a 50cal.

I believe you can get a 45/70 and have a guy on a different board convert it over using a savage breech plug. For the money that is the best route. SMI is a very long turn around and I just saw a terrible quality barrel returned from then on another forum.

For about $130 the guy (Slufoot) can do the conversion with the savage breech plug and his turn around is about a week. Also if you want to spend some extra money and get a better ignition system which allot of guys are starting to go to you can talk to Jeff Hankins and her can set you up with large rifle primers and a better seal system. He just finished an encore that is pretty neat.

My personal opinion is do not use SMI.

X2 to what riverrat said, all of it. I have a TC 45-70 converted and know of several others and they are way over any smoker. W

Here is my Pro Hunter MGM barrel with a PA Pete (Dave D) breechplug. Shoots the 275 Parker BE's into tiny groups.

xp, I used a 45/70standard contour T/C barrel for my first conversion and it shot very good,I then ordered a MGM full bull 26" and it shoots excellent. Slufoot did both barrels with savage breech plugs.

Sorry, I just saw this post. Haven't had much time to play on forums lately.
Like 03Mossy said, I have a smokeless barrel on my Pro Hunter. Mine is an MGM barrel built on a Shilen blank. It's a 1-14 twist as that's what MGM recommended. Mine is an actual muzzleloader barrel, not a 45-70 conversion. If you go this route just don't mention smokeless when you order it. They don't want the liability and won't make you one.
With everything that's gone on this summer I haven't had much time to play with it. It seems like it has potential I just need to wring it out a little.

Latest posts

Back