.430 bullets/sabots Sav 10ML-II?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watson

Reaction score
Hi Folks
First post here...
I'm wondering what experience folks here can share using .430 (44cal) bullets in a 10ML-II w/ or w/o the below sabots?

I'm going to pick up my first smokeless ML tomorrow. It is a used Savage 10ML-II, blued. I've been trying to acquire the necessary components to get me to the range tomorrow (I will need to be ready to go with it for deer in less than 2 weeks). In my parts, there is scarce pickins' locally for anything other than the WalMart fodder. I did manage to re-discover some .430 bullets that I had laying around and a bag of Hornady sabots for 50 cal and .430 bullets at a LGS.

For 44cal bullets I have:
1. Hornady 300gr XTP (of note, I was extremely hopeful when I saw the BC/SD of this bullet! I'm hoping it will be suitable for deer hunting, of the 200+ pound type)
2. Hornady 265gr Flex-tip
3. Speer 270gr Deep Curl

I also was able to find a box of .452 Hornady XTP in 300gr at an LGS but no sabots for them.

The only "official Savage recipe" powder I have is IMR 4759 and that's all there is w/in at least a 50 mile radius of me. I do have several others in the burn rate region though (i.e. H4198, Lil' Gun, W296, A1680, RL7, etc)

Generally the BC/SD of the heavy 44cal bullets seem intriguing and I haven't seen much written on them. I'll concede that may be a consequence of not looking real hard yet... :D

Many of us have not found the .430 bullets to be as accurate as the .452 bullets. Some even swear by the .458 bullets with the correct sabots. I do not want to offend this board as I like it but there is a wealth of loads/bullets etc. on doug's message boards as another place to look. The stock ML II Savage can do a lot. The factory suggested bullet as I recall was the 300 XTP in .452.

You will most likely blow sabots when using a 50x44. H4198 and a 300gr .430 might work but that is a big might. Book powders are typically too fast for the .430s, H4198 is typically too slow for bullets less than 300gr but it produces the mildest pressure of the powders you listed. Re7 MIGHT also work with a .430 300gr bullet with a mild charge.

Thanks for being so quick out of the gate jims and GM54-120.

jims: I would love to get my hands on a bunch of the 458 Barnes originals. From what I've gathered from the little reading I've done so far is that the .452's are more common to shoot and shoot better than the .430's and there is quit a bit of remarkably good press on the 458 Barnes originals too. I will eventually order some other options from somewhere at some point, but am hoping to work out something w/ what I have at the moment. You are correct that the 300gr, .452 XTP is an "official" 10ML loading too. I would go with those seeing how I bought the bullets, but they didn't have the sabots. I may end up buying some WalMart blister packs of the 240gr XTP's to steal the sabots (I'm not even sure at this point if its the same sabot to use for the 300 grainers, but will research...). I did register/post at Dougs board too. I had planned on it anyway so don't feel traitorous :) Anyway, we'll see where a night of sleep will lead in the morning :)

GM54-120: that was helpful perspective, thank you. I wouldn't think the thicker .430 sabot walls would cause that much more pressure. I am soooo at the beginning of a long learning curve :)

More plastic between bore and bullet=bad at smokeless levels. Its just more material that can fail. Thats why a .458 does better, there is less "plastic" between the bullet and bore. 50x40 sabots are even worse with smokeless and can even be problematic with some subs.

458s in a MMP Orange sabot or Harvester black crushrib have a very good track record in the MLII.

If you REALLY want to shoot .430s in your Savage, get some Blackhorn209 powder and try those 300gr bullets. You should have no problem breaking 1900-2000fps with BH209. Light loads of SR4759 will get you in the same fps ball park but likely not more before sabots start to fail.

As mentioned by one member MMP and Harvestor sells sabots, they are fast to deliver as is Luke on the other board.

Here is the new-to-me Savage 10ML-II. Notice it is VERY short. That was not my doing but is as purchased. It is 19-1/4" from muzzle to the front of the barrel nut

Here is the picture of the raw muzzle. I need to get something on that naked steel!

Here is what I will call a one hole, 100 yard group. It goes shot 1 thru 3 from left to right. The reason I shall call it a one hole is that there is 2 clicks of right windage on the 3x scope (yes, three power) between each shot. It is a testament to the accuracy of the rifle and the function of the scope - which is a plain ole' 20mm, 1-3x Weaver Classic. The load was 43gr IMR-SR4759, Hornady 300gr XTP (non-mag), and the MMP short black sabot (forgot the number at the moment) and it clocked at 2079fps (only recorded one shot). I found a real old pkg of Knights sabots at a pawn/gun shop for $4. I remembered seeing a post about how to identify MMP sabots and they checked out as the MMP short ones. It just so happened Knights used to use them I guess. Maybe they still do, I don't know...

Anyway, I really appreciate the help, insight and direction. I couldn't be happier with my newfound hobby!

PS I just did a post preview and it appears the ML is a pistol in the pic! It isn't THAT short! :shock: I don't know how to make the pics smaller yet. I welcome the how-to direction if anyone is willing.

The MMP Short, 300gr XTP and SR4759 is a great combo for the Savage IMO. Very reliable and it will hammer any deer on the planet. 4759 is my preferred "book powder" when shooting 300gr bullets. N110 is awesome too but i prefer it with 250gr bullets. Its a total PITA to find these days.

You may want to stock up on 4759. Its been discontinued and when the existing stock is gone, well.......its gone.

Latest posts

Back