Remington 700ML Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got a SS 700ML donor action (Thanks Casper!)

I have been doing lots of research online. I know what I need for the build but am having a heck of a time deciding between the Pac-Nor and McGowen .45 barrels.

These are my needs/wants so far

No fluting on barrel
I do walk some while hunting
Mainly a hunting rifle, 300yd shots are possible where I hunt
Only bullets I'm interested in shooting so far, 195gr Barnes Expander, 200gr SST, 250gr Barnes TEZ sabotless

Items I plan to use so far

Boyds thumbhole stock for Remington 700ML
Hunter bolt nose kit
Savage breech plug with vent liners
Callahan recoil lug

Any info. is greatly appreciated, along with do's/don'ts, maybe instead go this route, etc.

Go with a 24-25" McGowen barrel. At $100 more the Pacnor is not going to be any more accurate. Get in touch with Luke at smokelessmz as he might have some unclaimed barrels on order.

I have both barrels, I cannot really say I see any difference in accuracy. Both plenty deer accurate.

The 25" McGowen DMB-1 gets my vote. It makes for a very nicely balanced and accurate gun. Both on mine shoot the Barnes T-EZs excellent. I do not shoot plastic other that testing them out the first time after putting it together to get it on paper with some cheap 200 gr XTPs.

I have ordered my McGowens thru Luke and most everybody else has also. Be specific and let Luke know you want the barrel drop. You just need the barrel drop if you intend to shoot .458 bullets. My last two .400/408 McGowens came with the barrel drop.

I get my barrels through Luke at ASG. I got a drop with my first one. I did not with my second one. I am shooting the Barnes 250 gr and 290 gr T-EZs land rider so not a big deal to me. I do not see myself going full form for my needs.

I ordered my McGown barrel through Luke and ordered it long enough that I could cut my own drop.

Interesting read.

I may have Luke build a rifle for me, using the Remington 700mz .54 I just found for $200. Boy the rifle is in excellent condition. Although it may be a smokeless, I'll be shooting only BH.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't go with a Brux, Krieger, Douglas or any of the other makers?

nope, they are all good, its a matter of choice, or economics. Usually its a matter of what whoever you buy from carries, or if someone else builds it, what they like. I have a savage with a pac-nor, just because I jumped into a pac-nor group buy on another forum. Ive heard people with several different makers say they cant tell a difference, and Ive heard people say the really high dollar ones are the most tempermental, requiring the most skill to achieve their potential

Squeeze said:
nope, they are all good, its a matter of choice, or economics. Usually its a matter of what whoever you buy from carries, or if someone else builds it, what they like. I have a savage with a pac-nor, just because I jumped into a pac-nor group buy on another forum. Ive heard people with several different makers say they cant tell a difference, and Ive heard people say the really high dollar ones are the most tempermental, requiring the most skill to achieve their potential

Thank you.

McGowen it is for me.

My donor action came from a 54 cal Remington. Action in very good shape. Light handling/usage marks, bead blasting would make it look new. The barrel was ok condition, slight pitting around the powder area.

Anyone using the tungsten bushings?

The McGowen was a good choice IMO. Luke just got in some 90/10 .030" bushings. I would get one of those if you want a bushing breechplug.

ENCORE50A said:
Interesting read.

I may have Luke build a rifle for me, using the Remington 700mz .54 I just found for $200. Boy the rifle is in excellent condition. Although it may be a smokeless, I'll be shooting only BH.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't go with a Brux, Krieger, Douglas or any of the other makers?

Pacnor, McGowen, and Brux come prefit for the Remington 700 ML. The others will require a Gunsmith to fit the barrel to your gun.

jsteurrys said:
ENCORE50A said:
Interesting read.

Pacnor, McGowen, and Brux come prefit for the Remington 700 ML. The others will require a Gunsmith to fit the barrel to your gun.

Thanks. When I get ready, my plan is to let Luke handle it for me. I'm very certain he will provide me with a great shooting rifle.

These 700 ML builds sound very interesting. Is there much advantage if one is not planning to shoot smokeless in them? Magnum plus charges for example? It appears to me they still use the 209 primers?

Rainorshine said:
These 700 ML builds sound very interesting. Is there much advantage if one is not planning to shoot smokeless in them? Magnum plus charges for example? It appears to me they still use the 209 primers?

Faster twist rate for ones who want to shoot the longer, heavier, higher BC bullets. Can customize it any way you want with all the after market 700 products.

I believe some use different primer systems with CF actions and ML actions. I'm still in the learning/researching phase of my build.

Got my tools in to remove/install my barrel! :D Wheeler action wrench and barrel vice, seem to be well made. Hunter Bolt kit in the mail. Only one problem so far, no McGowen barrels in stock :shock: Hopefully a batch will arrive in a month or so.

Back