McRem 700ML Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got around to removing my .54 cal muzzleloader barrel last night. I used a Wheeler action wrench and barrel vise. I was nervous doing it after reading several posts where some come off very hard and can take action threads with the barrel. Mine came off with no trouble and the threads look good. I wrapped the action with a combo of masking tape and drywall seam tape, not a mark on it after the wrench was removed. Another tip I picked up on the net, was to use powdered sugar in place of store bought rosin, it worked like a charm and left no marks on the barrel.

Installing the Hunter Bolt Nose kit was fairly straight forward after referencing the step by step pictorial guide on the internet. My bolt nose was a very tight fit, which is good, it won't be coming off without a lot of effort.

Hopefully, the action won't sit too long is this condition, still waiting on the new batch of .45 cal McGowen barrels

You are well on your way. I have 2 45 McGowens on Rem actions. What are your stock plans?

Scott

It is nice when you get a good, clean action to start with.

SCHUNTER said:
You are well on your way. I have 2 45 McGowens on Rem actions. What are your stock plans?

Scott

I'm going to practice bedding on the Remington stock and see how it shoots

The Boyds 700ML stock is a definite possibility, just not sure I want a thumbhole.

Any recommendations on a non-thumbhole relatively inexpensive stock?

I have two of the Boyds thumbhole. I have never had a thumbhole I liked but I do like the Boyds thumbhole a lot. I have ordered a HS Precision for one of my McRems.
The only downside to the thumbhole for me is not being able to shoot it left handed in a hunting situation.

The Boyds Tacticool ($109) is a popular inexpensive choice for many of the guys on Dougs.

Scott

Got my McGowen .45 barrel installed yesterday :D Now it truly is a McRem :partyman:

I ground down my firing pin a few weeks ago and may have to remove just a teeny bit more. After headspacing my savage breech plug today, I test fired 6 W209 primers. The firing pin strike looked a tad bit deep but I'm going to shoot a few loads and see what the primers looks like. The bolt cycled firm on the first few primers but loosened up some on the last ones.

I'm going to use the factory stock for a while and see how it shoots. Just a little bit more material to remove to make a good fit. I'm hoping to test fire the rifle next weekend with some 195gr Barnes Expanders and 250gr TEZ's.

Been a fun project so far :yeah:

74f7f314-77a7-4e81-b88c-e9f2adbe0dd4_zpsbukuoqxh.jpg

Looks good. I know you cant wait to shoot it! Good Luck.... Those TEZ's may fit perfect in that McGowen or you may need to knurl slightly.

Scott

SCHUNTER said:
Looks good. I know you cant wait to shoot it! Good Luck.... Those TEZ's may fit perfect in that McGowen or you may need to knurl slightly.

Scott

I'm gonna have to knurl. The TEZ's are loose, I just hope not too loose after knurling. :think:

I have to knurl the barnes also to fit my McGowan. Pretty easy process once you get rolling. On the other hand I went to 300 grain Parker Match Hunters for last fall and holy wow are those things hard to load! They shoot great but I have use all of my strength to load them.

And nice clean looking build, its going to be a nice hunting rifle!

What are you going to scope it with?

BuckDoeHunter said:
03mossy said:
What are you going to scope it with?

Going to borrow a Nikon Omega off the BuckHunter for a bit while I decide what to scope it with.

Do you size the Match Hunters or go from pkg to bore?

Package to bore. But they are super tight, might be good to size them down a touch but I have not invested in a sizing die as of yet.

I have various .45 barrels that take .45 bullets differently. One will take the MatchHunters well on a clean barrel but once fouled it becomes very difficult. The 290 TEZs knurled on that particular work well. My McGowen seems a bit looser than my PacNor. Sometimes you just get lucky and find the right combo without needing to use a sizing die.

Back