2nd Range Trip McRem, 45 Cal MMP Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beautiful morning to be at the range, light winds, cool temps

Sqezer sent me some new 45 cal MMP sabots to shoot in a faster twist, 45 cal smokeless rifle. Range was 100yds on all shots, bullets knurled, sabots indexed, barrel was allowed to cool between all shots, always cool to the touch. I alternated shooting between the Harvester smooth light blues (a proven accurate load for comparasion) and the MMPs so each brand of sabot was shot on a progressively warmer barrel. All loads were with 200gr SSTs, 60gr by weight of IMR4198, W209 primers. Velocity should be around 2600fps if I remember correctly.

The rifle was cleaned the week before and the barrel oiled. Before heading to the range, I alcohol swabbed the barrel and fired 3 primers. At the range, I fouled the bore with a HSB sabot and a Barnes 195gr Expander.

Top hole is the fouling shot with the Havester SB sabot and the 195gr BX, 3 other holes with the HSB sabot and 200gr SST, .75" 4 shot group
59c6a804-67b7-455a-b52e-6854e87a6dc7_zpsb3yyzl35.jpg

4 shot group with Red 45 cal MMP sabots, 200gr SST, 2 1/4" group, they loaded easier than the HSB, a little too loose for my personal preference
c546e17e-b97e-4394-97e0-bc6acfa27659_zpstus8lpgr.jpg

I found each MMP after it was shot, I was worried after the 1st shot that I may have blown the sabot and plastic fouled my bore but after shooting the HSB sabot, accuracy was still there. The MMP sabot was stressed but not blown like some sabots that are pushed too fast or shot on hot barrels, it was somewhat shredded and the base was rolled up. Some of the sabots had dents on the base which I think came from hitting the cement tube I was shooting through. After the sabot left the muzzle, it must have went at an angle and not straight ahead. I need to shoot some without the shooting tubes to see if some of the damage came from impacting the cement.
b870546e-3202-4d49-ab47-e0eaa8dce540_zpsyooaupap.jpg

dfe691fc-d68e-42dd-8269-7eb3e89c366d_zpscrbme0kb.jpg

Tubes I have to shoot through at the public range, I don't like them. My fancy shooting rest, my hand rests on top of the bucket, I like to hold my rifles when shooting.
467cb972-208a-4c3d-8f65-bd781f4ac51d_zpsbmljlcfb.jpg

The tan MMP sabot that I first tried in my McRem keyholed, so the Red sabot is an improvement but the accuracy is not there for the range my rifle was built for. Next range trip will be with the 195gr Barnes Expanders, a possible hunting load this fall :D
40a7aa52-1f69-4acb-9de8-d6738b777105_zpshx3nlqzz.jpg

Tim, thanks for taking the time to test them, I think Del at MMP would like to see and handle the sabots that you recovered. I will be shooting some out of my 1-20 Knight and I just put the 45-70 smokeless slufoot conversion on the Apex, that also has a 1-20 twist.

Excellent group there! The red MMP sabot looks really long for that 200 SST. You could try trimming the petals to be the same length as the Harvester and see if it improves the group. Very nice post and good information for all.

Scott

Great shooting :!: AWESOME GROUP :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ray........... :yeah:

The 195 Barnes are excellent hunting bullets, I have had good luck with the Harvestor smooth blues, with the bullets slightly knurled.

Latest posts

Back