Some advice, Rem Ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKami

Reaction score
Ok muzzleloader gurus, i need som advice. I have a Remington 700ml, probably 97-98ish, and ive had the hunter bolt nose installed and put in the breech plug-shoots bh209 superbly? Is that a word? Anyway, ive been contemplating replacing the barrel-as its seen better days, and ive contacted a well known barrel maker to get a replacement. My thing is, im not convinced i want to go "smokeless" so they will make me a .50 cal in either 1:24, or 1:32, will the 1:24 shoot sabotted bullets? Or am i looking at full bore size projectiles only? The other thing is, they can only drill it for the savage breech plug, which shouldn't be a big deal, right? Buy a savage breech plug from ASG? Just a newbee here so dont go too hard on me.
(I have enough centerfires to reach out 500+ yards, so long distance is not the main focus here, although it would be cool with a front stuffer)
Thanks to anyone willing to provide input
Steve

I would definitely go 1:24 twist and will shoot sabots perfectly.

Luke at arrowhead has everything you will need and info .

Asg will do you a prefit for 700 ml
Barrel and use new 9/16 breech plug for very fair price.

If you went with the .45 barrel, you could still use sabots with 40 call bullets if legal in your area along with BH209 then go smokeless and sabotless if you decide too and there are a lot of barrels to choose from and a few different b/plugs also. 1/24 should work ok in 50 cal. You could use smokeless in a 50 also if its built right.
Don

Ok, so i will contact ASG to see what is available, but for my own education is there a rule to go by for land/groove depth? I mean the difference between the two (like .500/.510), and does that have an influence on what projectile you can use? I thought i read somewhere that barrels for, say a patched round ball, should have "deeper" grooves-not that it matters here, as i would only use more modern bullet/sabots, just trying to get this straight in my head.

Yes the preferred50 cal specs are .500/.510
And 45. Is. .450/.458
With these specs you can get much better fit with sabot/bullet combinations.

Barrel lengths seems avg builds are around26"
Anything between24" to 30" will be great.
Powder choice and then type of terrain hunted and weight are usually the deciding factor.

Thanks Bestill, ive always leaned toward longer barrels too squeeze as much velocity out of a particular load. Weight is a funny animal-seems most people these days are demanding a lighter rifle-even in the centerfire realm, but ive always found that a "heavier" rifle is more accurate than a lighter one-of course that all depends on use, obviously toting around a 12+ lb rifle through rough terrain is not something most would consider.

Using book type powders such as SR4759, N110 and 5744, you wont see much if any benefit in fps from a 50cal barrel over 24"-26". You may even see lower muzzle velocity with those powders in a longer barrel.

Now if you plan on using 4198, N120 or even Reloder7 with 300gr bullets you may see a few more fps.

Will the new ultimate barrels fit on the old ML action? Lots of guys are buying the new Rem Ultimate just to strip for the action. Im sure it would be easy to uncover a nice new unused .50 barrel at an acceptable cost if it fits. Then an aftermarket breech plug and bare primer 209. Should be doable.

Or even a decent condition old rem ML .50. barrel shouldn't be hard to find. Put up a wanted add on a few forums should get a quick response

(or a PM to the guys building the new smokeless. theres a definite supply somewhere)

I wondered about the new remington as well, if the barrel does fit remington may even sell them, but i believe ASG may have some take offs as well.
Incidently, i just cooked my third scope in a muzzleloader since Christmas, so the remington is definately gonna get taken apart!
The thing is, if i do it, im probably better off accuracy wise with something other than the stock remington stuff, i dont know, though!

Ultimate barrel will not fit 700 ml
Good700 ml barrel is easy to get cheap.
But i would definitely recommend brux

Thats, where im leaning, Bestill, good recommendation, some of my bench rest buddies use them and they are nice!

Latest posts

Back