Opinion on SML donor rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upper Hand

Reaction score
Playing around with building a .40 or .45 smokeless rifle but I can't decide which route I want to take. I have a blued Savage ML2 but I'm reluctant to build it cause A) they're nearly collectors items now & B) I think the blued action would look goofy with a stainless barrel.

I've been keeping an eye out for a stainless 700ml but for the money they seem to be commanding these days I feel that I would probably be better off just getting an Ultimate 700 and for the extra money I'd get a stock and ignition system that I would probably use on the rifle. Thoughts?

A Remington Ultimate ML is a great platform for a SML build. You would be able to use nearly any upgrade made for a Rem700. You can also buy a Rem700 SS single shot action for under $500. The locking lug actions are the way to go if you want to use LRMP modules, plus the barrel shank is larger for the Rems than the Savage.

The Savage is the easier build but i would not do it if its a small shank. Small shank and 4.27 spacing will have less upgrade options than the Rem700 or Savage large shank.

An option worth considering is the Savage model 16 lightweight hunter. Its basically a lightened model 10. Total build price would be close to a Rem 700Ult but you could use a 209 bolt head if you prefer 209s. I think smokelessmz still offers Savage short action 209 bolt heads.

Latest posts

Back