Sabot question for Carlos??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfer

Reaction score
Up in that inline forum I posted bout using them Bloodline (40 X 45 X 200) bullets in my :yeah: "conversion" (Encore/TC barrel by slew foot) and would the included sabots stand up to 4198 or will I need to use the blue sabots? I'm currently shooting smooth blue and 200 SST over 56 gr. 4198 and get better than moa at 100, not so good with the Barnes 195. It was suggested I seek out the advice of "Carlos" so here it is.

1. Will the 40/45 sabots included with the Bloodlines stand up to modest charges of 4198?

2. Will the bullet/sabot combo fit OK, ie... tight enough for ignition but not too tight? Just what you think, only trying them will tell.

thanks, W

I have never tired the the Bloodline 40x45, but if is not to tight as you are telling me and goes down just fine, I can't see why the sabot would not stand up to the 4198 charge. As far as accuracy goes, I would shoot a couple and see what kind of groups you get, I would also try them in the blue sabots. Let me know what happens.
CArlos

I know of one person that tried a Lehigh 185 in a blue Harvester sabot in his conversion and it did not even hit the target. He was sighted in with 200gr SST's and Barnes 195's before firing the Lehigh aka Bloodline.

Omega45 said:
I know of one person that tried a Lehigh 185 in a blue Harvester sabot in his conversion and it did not even hit the target. He was sighted in with 200gr SST's and Barnes 195's before firing the Lehigh aka Bloodline.

I B thinkin that's conversion 20 twist to fast for dem light boolits. Like dem nice , 1/20 twisted, White Riffles I seekin one of, a fastes twist for longer heavier boolits not so good for light ones. Ize really wishin there waz a heavier longer 40 cal to use in the 45. If dem new long sabotz dat sum be tryin turn out for regular peoplez I'll get a mold and make some nice .40s at 230-240 gr and WFN at 13-16 BHN tough alloy. that B a slammer for shure. W

Omega45 said:

Speaking of old threads.....

I would not blame Lehigh for not hitting the target. I would blame yourself for sighting-in with the Barnes 195s first.

I made the same mistake when tuning-in new Blue MZ pellet powder. I could not hit the side of the barn with Barnes 195s. But the moment I switched to PRBullet's QT 195s, I was hitting dead-nuts where I aimed.
----------------------------------------------------

I brought this thread back to life because I need more Aliant Blue MZ pellets and don't want to buy the sister White Hots instead. Maybe Carlos can ship me-some, without paying an arm & leg for HAZMAT fees.

I just-now realized that this thread is in a Smokeless Board Room here. I did a Search on Carlos and this thread popped-up in Smokeless! Not realizing the age of this thread, I'll then switch gears and contact Carlos by phone.

I think you missed the point of this old thread and you are just now seeing what most of us with SMLs already know. Smokeless and the Bloodlines or older Lehighs are VERY ROUGH on sabots. They blow easily and the bullet flies off to who knows where.

Barnes had a batch of the 195s that the base was just a tiny bit different. They blew sabots like mad also using smokeless.

That would explain why my Barnes 195s were all over the tree trunk map. I should have put-out a search party on the blue Crush Ribs used.

Geez talk about ancient history. I have moved on a bit from the OP. New to me in this revival of thread is "blue pellets"??? In "13" 4759 was my go to SML powder. Now I have to hoard the little bit 4759 I have and Shoot mostly Re 7 and H4198. what is the "blue pellets" mentioned above? W

what is the "blue pellets" mentioned above?

The BlueMZ is just a WhiteHot dyed blue and sold by Alliant. Same patent number and same composition in the SDS as the Whitehots.

Latest posts

Back