thinking of getting into smokeless. what are my options?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackhorn 209 powder is a blackpowder substitute approved for blackpowder guns when used as manufacture recommends.

true smokeless build is very specific built for high pressure.

donparadowski said:
@Al53:

I am also looking for a smokeless ML and the prices are so high. I am not cheap...But ouch! Has anyone heard of Smokeless Muzzleloading Inc., P.O. Box 712, Hartford City IN 47348? Their website is:

posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=27746

Ron at SMI built a barrel for me way back in 04 or 05. It shoots great. Price was fair. Ron was great to deal with. I contacted him and we setup a meeting when he was going to be camping near my home town. I dropped off the action I want the barrel built for, and then met with him again to pick up the rifle when he was camping at the same area a month later. Since then I have suggested SMI to many people, and nobody I reccomended them to has complained

On Dougs board there are plenty with SMI complaints. Everything from poor communication, much longer than promised wait times and some poor machining. Plugs specifically IIRC. The vast majority of complaints have been in the last 2 years. Before that they had a great track record.

BTW Carlos has the new Scout V2 45/70 in stock. Not sure how many but he mentioned they arrived and a couple are already sold.

There are countless builders but I would prefer you go to hankins custom rifles for the best ignition system in the game

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Carlos got in the Scout V2 and posted a pic. Barrel OD at the breach is the same as the Apex 1.1"

Attachments

• CVAScoutV2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 780
motox369 said:
There are countless builders but I would prefer you go to hankins custom rifles for the best ignition system in the game

Don't peddle ignorance. HIS works just fine but it is not the end all be all ignition unless you have guzzled the Koolaide. I have used several rifle primer and shotgun primer systems so I'm not regurgitating other people's info or stabbing in the dark. For the same money as a HIS you can get a Swinglock which is a true custom along with the patented sizing die. When you pay upwards of $3500 for a Remington 700 in a Boyd's stock you need to take a real hard look at how you are spending your money. My HIS cost $3000 but I used a Pierce Engineering custom action and McMillan stock and saved a lot of money by doing work myself. If you go that route you need to know what you are doing or you need to be ready to part with your money when you needn't.

In regard to the OP's question, he isn't looking to spend a grip full of cash. That sort of rules out a HIS except for a break open gun. Again, it'll work but so will a 209.

The only thing I bought from jeff was an ignition system so I didn't pay 3500 for a 700 in boy's stock. I bought only a barrel and breech plug

Re: RE: Re: thinking of getting into smokeless. what are my options?

motox369 said:
The only thing I bought from jeff was an ignition system so I didn't pay 3500 for a 700 in boyds stock. I bought only a barrel and breech plug

Swing locks are 3 years behind . I know because I called them . ANY bolt action gun built by a builder will be in the 3000 dollar range . That's a basic gun

Yes you can if you build it yourself . I'm talking built by a builder ready to go . I have 3 built but maybe I'm using the wrong guys ?

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Yes you can if you build it yourself . I'm talking built by a builder ready to go . I have 3 built but maybe I'm using the wrong guys ?
If you have $3000 in a Remington you need to rethink how you do things unless you don't mind needlessly parting with cash. You can get a built gun for under $3000, you just have to make prudent decisions. It's the same as paying $900 for a barrel job.

Back