equipment unique to Savages. Where to buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyodoc

Reaction score
New to the forum.

I'm interested in the stuff unique to Savage 10ML IIs.

For example, I just heard there's a tool that you can remove the breechplug without removing the bolt? Where can I get one?

Are there other neat things that go with a Savage?

How about cappers? What are you guys using? I won't slam any particular brand but I'm not impressed with what I'm using so far, and I know that a capper designed for the bolt face would be really nice.

And why are we worried about torque wrenches? I have a good one but I didn't think I needed it for my rifle.

I read on one of these forums, don't remember where now, Ive read so much, but a dude took a piece of clear tubing--looked like fish tank stuff--maybe 5/8 od?. Was a real short piece maybe three inches long. He drilled a hole in either end, stuck the nose of the cap in, and it left the primer face ready to slide into the savage bolt. Very cool idea, although Ive had no problems slipping a cap into the bolt face with my fingers. Im thinking in the dark on a cold November morning, it might be nice to have one though, for loading in a tree...

jeff said:
I read on one of these forums, don't remember where now, Ive read so much, but a dude took a piece of clear tubing--looked like fish tank stuff--maybe 5/8 od?. Was a real short piece maybe three inches long. He drilled a hole in either end, stuck the nose of the cap in, and it left the primer face ready to slide into the savage bolt. Very cool idea, although Ive had no problems slipping a cap into the bolt face with my fingers. Im thinking in the dark on a cold November morning, it might be nice to have one though, for loading in a tree...

Hi,

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thread=1135621554

....................................................................................Gerald........./

glad I could help with the capper- :D Big hands + cold fingers =dropped primers for me... :oops: decided to find a better way... Rick

I can't believe how much has happened since the original post! How many people are still using Savage 10mls?

I am in the Northwest. I am looking at new black powder on Muzzle-Loaders.com. They have a number of nice options. However, I keep leaning towards the CVA Optima Northwest in camo pattern. The price is $308. Any other recommendations of manufactures.

You may want to ask in the inline section but......

If you are required to use PacNW compliant muzzleloaders and you want new...i would look a the Knight Wolverine and Bighorn "western editions". Them percussion break actions are no joy to clean thoroughly. Lots of crud gets blown back into the firing pin hole area and breach. Old style plunger rifles are easier to clean IMO and the Knights only need 2 screws removed to take completely apart.

I have 8 or 9 but all but one have aftermarket barrels now in smaller calibers.

Back