tc omega custom version 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
i have done several custom omega builds and been very pleased with them just wanted to try to make them little simplier and a drop in barrel for factory stocks or boyds stock.
this has been a while to get completed but im very happy with first build.
it is a brux 1" bull barrel .450/.458 1-20 twist 26 1/2" long and 28" with harrell break with load thru funnel the action and mounting lugs are machined from 304 stainless steel and made a fixture to hold them in place while they were tig welded . scope base is also tig welded in place using a fixture. im very happy with the welding but wish welds were spaced better on base for cosmetic reasons. im not sure if base needed welded but wanted to try it out. obviously screw mounting would be fine. i used mgm 6hole stainless base. trigger is reworked to break clean at 2# final barrel assembly fit perfectly in factory stock. so simply pulled 50 cal out and remove 2 pins from tigger assy and installed on new barrel and put back in stock. mounted scope .

with laminate stock and ramrod and break and scope base gun weighs 8 lb 8oz and with rings and vortex diamondback hp 4-16-42 total complete is 10 lbs and 42" overall with break. a contoured barrel would make a 9 lb gun. gun balances exactly center at 21" with bull barrel.

That's some fine looking work there. Pretty rifle.
Let's see some holes in paper now.

Excellent work. Good option for guys who are bothered by the scope base holes.

That looks outstanding! I like the welded lugs. Do you perform any repair work?

Have you punched any holes in paper yet? I want to see what this thing can do.

Hulions said:
Have you punched any holes in paper yet? I want to see what this thing can do.

I personally haven't tested one for optimal accuracy they are gone before i can finish one.
Im certain a few that have them will post something soon

WOW!!! I'd say you did something right! Excellent work Jeff

But this should be posted in the 'smokeless' section of the Forum.

I will move it now.

I have a question or two regarding an Omega. I've had 2 of them over many yrs, loved them both. ZERO complaints or failures ever. Same with using the PB's & pellets. I loved them lots. Anyways, I've had this idea stewin for abit now , so I'm finally going to do some research to find out if what I have in mind is realistic or worth the money. I can but an Omega .50 base model black/blue at a decent price, what I would like to do is rebarrel it for a smokeless fast twist .357 to shoot 175gr high-performance bullets. Is that a good idea or crazy? Would it be more costly than the gun would be worth? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks , Kind regards all

It can be done. Carlos, he worked at Ed's Gun shop in NC, did one. Get in touch with Jeff F. He can answer/advise you on it. I have a CVA 35 Whelen conversion. They are several people with Apex .358 conversions.

I have a question or two regarding an Omega. I've had 2 of them over many yrs, loved them both. ZERO complaints or failures ever. Same with using the PB's & pellets. I loved them lots. Anyways, I've had this idea stewin for abit now , so I'm finally going to do some research to find out if what I have in mind is realistic or worth the money. I can but an Omega .50 base model black/blue at a decent price, what I would like to do is rebarrel it for a smokeless fast twist .357 to shoot 175gr high-performance bullets. Is that a good idea or crazy? Would it be more costly than the gun would be worth? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks , Kind regards all

good idea - absolutely good idea to you and no one else
crazy - absolutely crazy to everyone but you
more costly than the gun is worth - absolutely way over the value
advice - absolutely get all you can
:):)

It can be done. Carlos, he worked at Ed's Gun shop in NC, did one. Get in touch with Jeff F. He can answer/advise you on it. I have a CVA 35 Whelen conversion. They are several people with Apex .358 conversions.
That's awesome, thank you. I will do that. I just agreed to a deal on a .40 Hawken last night. That's gonna make me flat broke for the next 2mo but I don't care. Yet lol
So the Omega idea must go on the back burner for abit. But it's really cool to learn my idea was not nuts. Lol thanks so much. Kind regards

Back