Another 700 Smokless Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick50471

Reaction score
Just getting started with a 700 Smokless build. Peer pressure and being able to drop a Whitetail nearly anywhere on my property is the reason, if I needed one.

I currently use an inline Traditions Vortek striker fire rifle with BH209, Cutting Edge Maximus .40 165gr hollow points with a Harvester sabot. Last year a dropped a buck at 217 in its tracks. With a little practice I'm hoping to get to 400 with a much better rifle. That number puts nearly my entire 80 acre farm into play from my deer hut.

So...I had a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag that had a bad barrel. I traded that for a new 700 SA receiver. I have a HS Precision stock being delivered today. So here are my plans:

Remington 700 SA
28" 45cal Brux barrel threaded for can (ASG)
ASG Breechplug (308)
ASG Ram rod
Timney trigger
HS Precision stock
Silencerco Hybrid/Anchor

Going to hit up Luke on Sunday at the Iowa Deer Classic for his part in this.

Sounds like it will be a great build. Have fun with it!

You will be happy!! The 45 brux I put on one of my Savage MLII actions is great. Next year pix of some huge deer will be the topping. Shoot accurate and shoot more often! W

For real fun and psychological investment get your 6 yr old granddaughter to do the rattlecan camo job on the stock. you will use it until you go 6' under. I know stuff. W

Is Luke stocking Remington short action centerfire barrels for muzzleloader conversions? Last I heard, he didn't, but hopefully that changed. I want to build on a Rem SA someday.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Is Luke stocking Remington short action centerfire barrels for muzzleloader conversions? Last I heard, he didn't, but hopefully that changed. I want to build on a Rem SA someday.

As you likely already know Luke does not "Stock" anything. :wall:

I'll be in line just like everyone else. Im only meeting him today because I know he will be at the show.

Dropped everything off with Luke. I guess we'll see how long it takes. I would really like to shoot the rifle this summer. The silencer will take several months also. I'm hoping it shows up before hunting season.

I'm dumb. When I grabbed my action I grabbed the wrong one. :wall:

Luke was nice enough to not make to much fun of me. So I got my action back and going to see if they'll swap.

Missed out on his last order from Brux. Looks like i'm waiting a bit longer :(

Still working on my tax stamp anyway.

BATF approved the sale. My silencers should be shipping to ASG shortly. Then off to fill out paperwork.

Any recommendations for bullets while I wait for Luke would be great.

I have some Hornady 250gr SST (.452). I plan on getting some Barnes 300gr Originals, BE 275gr, APB 310gr, Accumax/Aeromax

Any others that are cheaper to shoot? I can't afford to spend an afternoon launching a two dollar bill at a steel plate.

nick50471 said:
Any recommendations for bullets while I wait for Luke would be great.

I have some Hornady 250gr SST (.452). I plan on getting some Barnes 300gr Originals, BE 275gr, APB 310gr, Accumax/Aeromax

Any others that are cheaper to shoot? I can't afford to spend an afternoon launching a two dollar bill at a steel plate.

Considering "cheaper to shoot" the Hornady line and like bullets from Speer or Sierra are what you have in "cheaper to shoot". Personally I shoot home cast bullets and they do PDG at 250 and under. For the longer ranges I'll get a pak of Pittmans and they'll last 3 or 4 hunting seasons worth of sight in and 2 or 3 on meat.

Yeah, I like to shoot too much to use $2 bullets for paper punching. Plus most, 90% of my hunting shots are under 100 ys and only 1 every 3 or 4 years over 150. It be thick here in eastern VA unless ya on a beanfield. W

Latest posts

Back