I'm an addict but not that crazy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfer

Reaction score
Another forum I'm always checking the classifieds for SML build donor guns. Well on another forum seen a Rem 700ML blue/black for $400. WOW that's kinda steep for a slamfire. I sent an "I'm interested but not at that price" PM. Looks like the used Omega market will be the go to for SML donor builds now. Much thanks to Bestill for another way to go. Heck, $400 for a donor is more than for a Stevens CF, $5C for a barrel, $150 for boltnose and breech plug plus smith work, that's + or - $1300 for a build. Yeah, them CVA conversions looking good now. Plus with a breaker can go 209 or LRMP module or direct ignition. Perhaps as the demand slacks the prices of used Rem 700ML will get reasonable again. Sure I'm an addict but I don't steal and rob for the $ to build SML. What you guys doing to feed the addiction? W

LOL just paying the big bucks. :D My smokeless guns have more $$ in optics and mounts than most of my smokers whole setup costs. I have one H&R break action conversion, but I really dont shoot it. That gun kicks like a mule. (compares with my shotgun slug guns) Then a few savage actions, a rem CF, and one RUM in progress now. I really dont like the CF casing style module ignition, but LOVE the 40X action. I am mulling over making it into a .50 with a Brux, but with an arrowhead 209 plug and see how it stacks up to the accuracy Encore gets with his Johnston ultimate. But he seems a better trigger man than me. :wink: I cant do anything over 300 at my local range, but my hunting is all short range work. Im in a smoke only state, so I shoot more Blackhorn than smokeless on average. For me, the smokeless is just range fun for now.

Ya, that's too much for a Rem 700ML. I have 3 700ML conversions, each one was a much better deal than that. My latest will be a CVA Apex 45-70, if the barrel ever shows up :wall:

buckdoe, who doing your conversion and which ignition system you going with? Sold my Encore conversion barrel but working on getting an Omega done. They are really nice. handled an Omega build at the "Challenge" in Kentucky last year and Bestill makes a great SML. W

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to keep researching for a bit to see what ignition source I want. LRMP was my first thought but the direct ignition is interesting and seems to produce good results.

Bestill, ASG, and Hankins are the 3 builders I have in mind but haven't contacted anyone for how long it might take for the work to be done.

I have a new 45/70 Apex sitting in the safe that I am trying to decide what to do with as well. I am leaning towards direct ignition....

Back