New to smokeless muzzle loading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuatro

Reaction score
My kids and I have a 700 action with a ML barrell, nice rifle. My daughter took a nice pronghorn at 192 yards. We were using Blackhorn 209 powder. She drew a elk tag for 2017. I want to go to a smokeless powder. I have a lot of IMR4350.
Any sugestions to get a new load started?
Thanks

Remington 700 muzzleloader action or centerfire action?

Factory 700 muzzleloader barrel or centerfire barrel?

What caliber?

What primer?

Looks like some have used 4350, including bad bull muzzleloaders.

Need more info about your rifle. Like ignition type, barrel manufacture, bore size, scope type, etc... It is not a simply shoot smokeless in a nice ML. Smokeless ML requires smokeless grade barrel and much better ignition than most smokers provide. If you are currently using BH209 that will also launch bullets able to kill elk. If you have a 700 currently set up for SML then who did the setup, barrel manufacture and ignition type and caliber are the need to know items. Also need to know what regulations will apply if there are restrictions on ML etc... W

Sorry got busy.
700 short action
Rebarreled with a removable breach plug
We use a cut down 243 or 270 case with rifle primer
50 cal barrel with 45 cal bullets and wad ( cant think of right term)
Scoped
What else do we need to dig into this?
I an ready to start a smokeless load. Even the 209 powder was alot to clean.

Hunt is in new mexico.
I will get barrel info in am.
We had good results with the 209 and i still have lots of powder but would like to use imr4350 if i could.

I think we need to be very very careful with recommending loads on this. Need to know the exact barrel manufacturer and when and maybe who did the conversion.

Im pretty certain 4350 will be WAY too slow for a 50cal sabot application. It takes a huge amount even in a LRMP 45cal

I bought this rifle from a friend. Barrell has no markings, at least not visable with stock on. I was using 83.5 weighed grains of BH209.

Going through my things that came with the gun, was some loads of imr 4759 weighing 43 grains. I never used them.

Badbull states 130 to 140 grains but that may be by volume not scaled weight.
Any thoughts?

Bad bull is a TOTALLY unique plug design and they shoot sabotless 45s not sabots so you cant go by their load data. Their load is also approaching 50kpsi or more.

In a 50cal stick to Savage load data assuming you have a smokeless grade barrel with a similar of larger contour. Savage MLII load data is well under 40kpsi and the better sabot friendly loads will hover around 33-35Kpsi.

SR4759 is an approved Savage MLII powder but its no longer made. 43gr is safe in a Savage MLII.

Smokeless load data is almost always by actual weight. DO NOT measure smokeless loads by volume like you do with subs!!!!! Lee dippers are fine with 5744 but weigh all other powders for best and safest results.

Post up some pics of your rifle please including the breach and plug

And find out who did the barrel install and as much information as possible. And pix of the breech area, breech plug and vent liner. I will tell you what loads I use but I will never give a recommendation to someone who knows so little about SML as you currently display. I suggest you lurk about the many SML sites and forums and then draw your own conclusions. AND a 50 SML is way different from shooting a 45 SML. I don't want to be rude or rough but even a small mistake can have very bad outcome with SML.

#1 safety is always 1st order of business with any firearms.

#2 mark your ramrod.

#3 do not get distracted while shooting SML.

#4 If you have had satisfactory results with BH209 you can continue to shoot that until you get some information and experience with SML.

#5 There is a lot of difference shooting SML and smoker ML.

#6 I will suggest you go over to Doug's and Hanks sites and just use the search and lurk about and read. The old archives at Doug's have a lot of information about shooting 50 SML and there is much current info too. There are pages and pages, 338 pages at Dougs, of topics about loads and SML shooting. You have much to learn Grasshopper.

I don't apologize for being blunt, better that than someone gets hurt. It is a while until hunting season and you can learn plenty in just a few lurk, search and read sessions. See links: Stay safe and good hunting. Wolfer

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/

http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/

Back