Convert or not to convert?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leave it or convert

• Leave it

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Convert it

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Ill trade you for a 24" 700ML

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 Stainless Magnum muzzeloader with the 26"barrel. IIRC they only made them like 2 years. I bought it to convert but my smokeless muzzeloading mentor said it was too rare to convert. I already did the hunter bolt nose conversion to it. What you guys say? Leave it or convert it? Leaving it and buying another one to convert is not an option.

I chose convert it, but it really depends on how it shoots right now. I shot one with the factory barrel before I converted it to a smokeless and, after several range sessions, I was not impressed. That rifle also had the bolt nose conversion done. After the smokeless barrel conversion, yes, I was impressed :D

I wouldn't pay any more for a magnum vs non-magnum, I think it's the exact same rifle except for the longer barrel, but I'm not a gun collector so maybe it's worth more to someone who is. Also, you did already alter it, to a true collector, that seems like a no-no. To a hunter, I think that would be an added bonus.

I voted to convert. You can shoot smoke or BH209 or smokeless if you convert. As is now only a smoker/BH 209 shooter. The smoker configuration is OK problem is the barrel is only a 1/28 twist and that isn't doable for high BC bullets. I'll include a link to a chart that Kyle posted about twist and bullet stabilization with his bullets. They are really good bullets. Notice in the chart how "hot" you have to shoot his bullets in a 28 twist to get stabilization. My opinion, yours may be different. W

I have not shot the gun yet so I'm not sure how it shoots. As far as it not being original I think you can reverse the bolt nose mod. The faster twist barrel is more attractive to me than the smokeless powder.

BuckDoeHunter said:
dozer_xj said:
As far as it not being original I think you can reverse the bolt nose mod.

I think so too. You can also put the factory barrel back on after the conversion if you so wish :yeah:

Is it new-in-box?

I never thought about that?!?!

Anyway no its not new in the box. I Bought it used.

Latest posts

Back