SML and Thor?? or other full bore 50s??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfer

Reaction score
Have finally got brother and son in law to move up to SML. Well they have moved to 50 cal guns one Savage MLII and a Rem 700Ml rebarreled to 50 with the boltnose etc... Couldn't get them to go 45 but 50 better than smokers. One is coming from 777 pellets and "belted" bullets and the other from loose 777 and Thor bullets. For Eastern VA the hunting most is in woodland or brush/cutover areas, tree stand or ground blind and ranges are 90% under 50 yd and never over 150. I have been tasked with getting the rifles shooting and not making it too complicated for them. Both want to shoot Thor bullets and I have no experience with Thor and SML, smokers yes. I have tried the bores with the Thor size try bullet pack and both rifles seem to fit the .501 with the .500 way to tight to get in the bore and the .502 way loose. What kind of information can you guys give me on powders and loads for SML Thors. And would you recommend knurling for a better wobble free fit on the bullets? Thanks, W

PS. I have 5 SML both 45 and 50 and only shoot sabotless in the 45s. Have VV n110, 5744, H and IMR 4198, Reloader 7, H322 and 2015 for powders now. Sure wish had some 4759 but only about 1# of that left and not giving that away. And if you have had success with other bullets than Thors include that too.

Thanks for any info good or bad on SML and Thors. W

I haven't shot smokeless either with thor but i think n120 be great and 5744 also.
I definitely think knurling would help center bullet to bore wont take much.

Probably gonna need a loose fitting bullet cause once it fouls bullet will tighten up

Back