Finally joined the bandwagon. a few 700ml Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter32

Reaction score
Today I purchased a stainless .54 cal 700ml with a 209 conversion for 250$. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only 2 other parts needed are the bp and barrel. I am also going to replace the trigger and stock. I'm a DIYer and I'm cheap. When it comes to gunsmithing I'm a newb but I'm mechanically inclined. I plan to shoot sabotless.

I am leaning towards the McGowan as someone stated it isn't necessary for a sizing die. Is this true?

I know I need a stock for a 700 adl sa. I am eyeing up a laminated Boyd stock as I find them appealing for the price. I have never before, but can (with google's help) pillar and bed the barrel. Comments or concerns on this? Are there any stocks that would be a drop in for any of the available barrels (McGowan preferably)?

Also, I'm pretty set on a 45 cal. has anyone here done one in a 50? was just thinking for if I were to use it out west I could use it with bh209.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all advice!

besides the McGowan barrel.. but the reason I'm leaning towards that is the possibility of not having to purchase a sizing die..

As said arrowhead has all the pieces/parts that you will need.

As for a sizing die there is no magic barrel mfg that will always take unsized bullets. The bullets that you get depends on needing a die for any particular barrel. There are plenty of bullets for 45 SML and you may or not need to size. bullets useful for sabotless are available from such as Parker, Pittman, Fury, Hornady, Barnes and others. The variation by .0005 diameter may be enough to need to size. If you get a particular bullet to fit unsized you might buy the same bullets later or from another batch and the diameter off enough to need sizing. Shooting the bullet you want even if it takes sizing is the way to go. Dies are available from several manufactures like Hankins and Swinglock and they are well worth the $. JMHO others will vary.

Yes I have done 50 but sabotless is problematic unless you go lead bullets. Saboted easy and lots of combinations and choices for that.

W

Congrats on the rifle!

ASG doesn't carry the McGowen barrels anymore.

If you want a beefy modified sendero contour, only Brux barrels are stocked. If you want a sendero profile then you can get a Pac-Nor. If you want a modified sendero Pac-Nor, Pac-Nor will make one for you, I checked a few days ago. I have had all 3- McGowen, Pac-Nor, and Brux, all shoot very well.

I sold my McGowen barrel a couple of weeks ago, I want all my SML's to have the ASG breech plug, I don't much care for the savage breech plug.

Go 45 cal.

Get a sizing die, it really is money well spent. If you get a Brux barrel, I would get the Full Form sizing die, you can do anything, .451-.458, it works quite well.

Which 209 conversion did the rifle come with? I know of only 2 conversions that will work with the smokeless setup, one is the Hunter and the other is sold by ASG. I don't believe any other conversions will work.

Get a tapered recoil lug, it is much easier to work with than the muzzleloader recoil lug.

The Rem 700ML trigger can be good, you may want to try it first and then adjust it yourself if it needs it and you feel comfortable doing it. I did put a Timney trigger on one rifle and it is very good, I would not hesitate to buy another.

I use Boyds stocks and haven't had any trouble. I think only the Pac-Nor sendero contour barrel is a drop-in-fit, and that may only be with a bull barrel option, check with ASG, he would most likely know.

Here she is. Which conversion is this?

Attachments

• IMG_20170805_101936049-365x648.jpg
    IMG_20170805_101936049-365x648.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_20170805_101958094-648x365.jpg
    IMG_20170805_101958094-648x365.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_20170805_102039435-648x365.jpg
    IMG_20170805_102039435-648x365.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 449
That's a 209 primer conversion for black powder or subs, it will not work with a smokeless conversion, at least none that I know of.

Contact derfhunter on this board, I think he still sells a smokeless conversion for the 700ML. It's the kit I used on my conversions.
Do a search online, it will show what the kit comes with and how to install it.

Or one of these, my nephew used the one for 209 primers and had no problems
http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/remington.html

just take the barrel action, send it to luke at arrowhead sporting along with (his web sight says 800 plus shipping) and when you get it back you'll be all set. That's where my christmas bonus is going this year if I get one

Latest posts

Back