Recommend reading resources?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K2KC

Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm brand new here, my first post other than in the Welcome section.

Have been out of ML since around 1990. Back then, had probably the cheapest Knight package that Cabelas sold, and was able to get it done on a few whitetail does.

Fast forward to now, looking to get back into it, and have a ULA 50 cal on its way to me. Obviously, smokeless is a different game from the Pyrodex I used then, the primers are different, and there have likely been myriad other changes.

When I get into something new, I prefer to read, reread, and have a reference to go back to, beyond these types of forums which are fantastic. When I took up handloading 5+ years ago, I had zero knowledge, experience, and no one around to learn from. So, I wore out several reloading manuals for the basics, and then was lucky enough to find John Barsness's books, which really got me to a proficient level fairly quickly. Not only have I been safe, but have been successful with my hand loads, and it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

That's a long route to get to my question. What resource books, manuals, etc., can you recommend for me? Certainly something to cover the basics, safety, ballistics, loads, and move me up the knowledge curve. Also, any magazines that would be worth a subscription?
I'll be an active reader of the threads here and look forward to picking your brains. If this topic has already been covered, I'll apologize up front, and ask you to be kind enough to provide some links.

The largest selection of NULA owners ive seen are right here although many are not active anymore. I would advise you to stick to the lower end of the Savage MLII load data for the NULA. Even though you will use less powder you will get about the same velocity as the hotter MLII loads.

41-42gr N110 with upto a 250gr bullet. I dont usually use more than 41gr and 39gr shoots just fine.

42-43gr SR4759 for 250gr or heavier bullets...This powder is no longer being made so buy it if you see it. Its a bit more sabot friendly than N110 and creates less peak pressure.

IMR4227 is also known to work although its no longer recommended by Savage. It had fail to fire issues in the Savage that don't seem to be a problem in the NULA....IF you use a snug sabot and 250gr or heavier bullets. Savage used to list 45gr-48gr of IMR4227 as a recommended load.

Accurate 5744 is dead nuts reliable but its dirty and slow. I never got the same accuracy with it as i have N110 or SR4759 so i didn't bother using it anymore.

I would stick to .451-.452 bullets in the 200gr-275gr range. Recoil gets a bit brisk with a 300gr and the 1-32 twist is better suited to shorter bullets. Barnes 45cal 200gr or 225gr XPB, T/C 250gr Bonded Shockwave and the Parker 275gr BE have all been solid performers. Lehigh's new 230gr Control Fracture looks very promising too.

There are quite a few more that will work but the ones ive listed are tried and true by many NULA owners. Get some cheap 250gr XTPs for starters and the Harvester EZ-Load Smooth Black sabots (for upto 300gr bullets). That is how they are labeled on the package. Use them to get familiar with your new rifle. Start at 39gr of Vihtavuori N110 or about 41gr of SR4759.

Just curious but is Melvin still making the rife, or did you luck into a used one?

Im curious too. It seems every time i hear he quit making them, someone pops up a month or so later who is getting one.

I bought it used from an individual. To my knowledge he is no longer making them, which is why I jumped on this one.

K2KC said:
I bought it used from an individual. To my knowledge he is no longer making them, which is why I jumped on this one.
Lucky guy. Congrads on the rifle. Wanted one for a long time but never had the $$ and now maybe never will get one :( .

I just never see them for sale anywhere.

Excellent rifle but the ramrod sucks. The ramrod hanger sucks too. A delrin insert in the hanger might help. I removed mine altogether. I probably wouldnt take less than $1300 for mine and thats way more than i paid. Mine is probably a one of a kind. It has a longer barrel with a slightly heavier contour.

Mine is the top one
kThAvpH.jpg

V4h52pz.jpg

I hate when you show that rifle. I was about 15 minutes late signing on the day that was posted. :poke: :roll:

Its Batchchief's fault IIRC. He made me buy it. I thought about it for nearly 20min which seemed like an eternity. A 1-32 twist 50cal rifle was one of the last things i wanted. I called Melvin not long after and begged for one in 45cal even if it was only rated for BH209 and subs...He said NOPE!!

Last ones Melvin offered for sale were $1800 but i heard he would sell them for $1500 to guys that heard about them here. They took nearly a year to get.

GM54-120 said:
Its Batchchief's fault IIRC. He made me buy it. I thought about it for nearly 20min which seemed like an eternity. A 1-32 twist 50cal rifle was one of the last things i wanted. I called Melvin not long after and begged for one in 45cal even if it was only rated for BH209 and subs...He said NOPE!!

Last ones Melvin offered for sale were $1800 but i heard he would sell them for $1500 to guys that heard about them here. They took nearly a year to get.
Well I wish you had waited a little longer. :lol: I would not have hesitated, but did not think much about the twist back then. But glad someone here got it. I had a friend (RIP Mark) that was like that, he would keep telling me "you Know you want it so buy it, buy it, buy it," till I caved in. :roll: :lol:

Once the price went up it was out of my reach at the time, too many other more important things going on. I have been thinking about calling him after the first of the year to see if he would build me one though, even though I have enough 50cals.

Do you know what twist he used in the 45's? By the way, what was his hang up with the .45?

The 45s were also a slower twist but he used to make them in any twist Douglas offered. He stopped due to bulged barrels and people talking about sabotless. Del has one of the last ones in 45cal. His is either a 1-28 or a 1-32 and he shoots the PR 45x357 with mildish amounts of 4198 at around 2300-2400fps.

I even told Melvin a heavier contour was ok with me but i did want a faster twist than 1-28.....NOPE...NO WAY...AINT GUNNA HAPPEN!!!

7mmFreak has one he is modding with a 45cal barrel. I haven't seen him post about it in ages though. The one he bought was a 45cal but the previous owner used T7 and did take care of the barrel very well.

The one he bought was a 45cal but the previous owner used T7 and did take care of the barrel very well.

Now that is a shame. :(

Back