Building a 40cal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
How would I go about building a 40cal smokeless? I'm more or less brainstorming here. I think the bullet options may be too limited...but maybe not.

I have a .40 smokeless ML. It has a PacNor barrel with a RB (Ric Bibby) breech plug, he is now deceased. I do not know if PacNor still builds the .40 I have. I think it is a .450/.458 barrel and I use bullets sabotless sized to .451 for a snug fit going down. I know there are some newer .40s out there, unsure how they are built.

Interesting. Do they make ML barrels for any of the production interchangeable barrel systems like Encore?

I do not know the answer to your question. My .40 is built on a Savage ML action, another I know of is built on a Rem ML action. These are of course rebarreled. Mine uses the breecplug of Ric Bibby, I do not know what design was in the other.

I emailed them and they do not. They're only for Savage and rem 700. Arrowhead has Encore barrels for $880 IIRC. I didn't see any 40cal though. If I came across used 700 for a donor I might consider that but may run into the issue of a stainless barrel on a blued action.

I think there is a .40 already built on Doug's Message board for a reasonable price.

james 14 said:
If I came across used 700 for a donor I might consider that but may run into the issue of a stainless barrel on a blued action.
Why would that be a problem?

ShawnT said:
james 14 said:
If I came across used 700 for a donor I might consider that but may run into the issue of a stainless barrel on a blued action.

I guess it wouldn't be. I'm more of a function over form type of guy anyways. I'll probably have a matte black scope with black rings as well.

40 you wanting to shoot sabots or sabotless?

Sabotless: smooth form sizing or fullform sizing?

Many options on barrels for 700 builds.

james 14 said:
ShawnT said:
james 14 said:

I guess it wouldn't be. I'm more of a function over form type of guy anyways. I'll probably have a matte black scope with black rings as well.

I as just curious if it was looks or if you were thinking there was a functional reason not to do it. Here is a pic of one of mine, not a muzzleloader, done on a 700 action with a blue scope (gloss) for reference. The barrel could always be coated with Teflon or Cerekote.

UUqqm0y.jpg

2KpqNN8.jpg

As long as it works well I don't care what it looks like. The more I learn, however, the more I don't think this is the way I want to go at this time. It would be a ton of fun but more money than I could justify with the amount of time I'd be able to utilize it. I'll probably end up doing a conversion and will be happy all the same.

Back