What a shot!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats pretty amazing! Some of the stuff these smokeless boys are doing truly pushes limits. But they basically work with a hugely overbuilt chunk gun. (too big and heavy to carry anywhere) I forget which forum now.. But there are several groups of guys who set up prarie dog style with varmint benches, and work military sniper style with a spotter and a shooter working together, and pretty much hunt at 600 yards and out.

JMHO But hunting is getting as close as reasonably possible to make the easiest ethical shot possible.. setting up at 600 or 900 yds with a spotter is not hunting its using the animal for target practice, hoping you don't fooboo up and shoot off a leg or misjudge wind/mirage and gut shoot them..you can practice at that range all you want it only takes a minute mistake to maim a animal..
don't believe your a hunter if you do this, maybe wanna be sniper but not a hunter.. again this is my opinion and take it for what its worth.

Squeeze said:
Thats pretty amazing! Some of the stuff these smokeless boys are doing truly pushes limits. But they basically work with a hugely overbuilt chunk gun. (too big and heavy to carry anywhere) I forget which forum now.. But there are several groups of guys who set up prarie dog style with varmint benches, and work military sniper style with a spotter and a shooter working together, and pretty much hunt at 600 yards and out.

dbowling said:
JMHO But hunting is getting as close as reasonably possible to make the easiest ethical shot possible.. setting up at 600 or 900 yds with a spotter is not hunting its using the animal for target practice, hoping you don't fooboo up and shoot off a leg or misjudge wind/mirage and gut shoot them..you can practice at that range all you want it only takes a minute mistake to maim a animal..
don't believe your a hunter if you do this, maybe wanna be sniper but not a hunter.. again this is my opinion and take it for what its worth.

Squeeze said:

My opinion is that it doesn't do anybody any good to criticize others for the way they choose to hunt... That attitude has caused a lot of strife down through the years....long bows to the recurve bows... Recurve bows to the compound bows... Compound to the crossbows.... Flintlocks to the Caplocks...Caplocks to the Inlines... Inlines to the Smokeless shooters... I could care less how someone chooses to hunt...Getting close doesn't make you a better hunter...saw a doe run by earlier in the year that had been gut shot and ass shot...so much for being a good hunter...I hunt with a Crossbow and also a smokeless conversion...both take lots of practice and both take a lot of skill to be ethical and effective...I killed a buck this year at 50 yds with the crossbow after spot and stalking him for 400yds...During ML season it's the norm to kill one at 300yds...That's the way it is when you hunt in the wide open spaces of Western Nebraska.

Key is being ethical and honoring what god has provided us with.
My hats off to the shot.
I know personally this fella spent many hours before shot was ever considered.

I personally like long range work.
I shot over 500 rounds thru my muzzleloader at 500 to 900 yds this summer in varying conditions to be comfortable with my muzzleloader and my ballistic chart.

One thing for sure im very confident when i put crosshairs on game its dead.

For doe management which i do late season i put very little stress on herd. I can cleanly harvest many particular does in open field conditions and drop them immediately and return under darkness with quick recovery not tromping thru sanctuary tracking blood trail.

Know your own abilities and weapon system and conditions. Before ever pulling trigger.

10 yrs ago 200 yds was iffy and would think otherwise was stupid.
But game has changed with these high quality custom rigs

I've learned that dudes are going to do what they want, ethical or unethical and it fits into American ego-centric hunting to shoot deer this way. Compare a European hunting film to the Realtree blowhards sometime.

I shot a PRS match against one of those two guys three weeks ago. It was a cold, wet, windy day and shooting positions were difficult but he hit 28 of 85 targets. I was the only guy who shot a perfect score on the stage that went to 1001yds (out of 62 shooters) and it was the only stage that had targets over 700yds. Someone... didn't hit any targets on that stage. I finished 10th, my second worst finish all year. Top ten shot 45, 47, 49, 50, 51(two way tie) 52, 53, 61, 65. That's just info for perspective and all the guns used were much more capable than an SML.

Again, it's a personal choice but I find it odd that the most capable often choose not to try shots like that on living animals while those with room for improvement will send the hail marry.

He was also telling me before the match all about it and said the hit was in the neck. If the miss was the other direction that would be guts. I can't call that success because it was fortunate the bullet landed where it did.

Back