New Ballistic Coefficients...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a test last week and posted the results over on Hank's Message board and it concerned the Barnes 290 TEZ (flat base)
First I shot a group at 300 yards that measured 2" and hit 2.5" below my POA. Then I loaded a fourth bullet that I had removed the plastic tip and machined an aluminum tip which make it look like a Parker Match Hunter to Pittman bullet. I would have thought the BC would have really increased?........In fact, it printed right inside one of the existing hole and made the last three shot group actually .850". \
So, next, I remove the plastic tips from three of the 290 TEZ's and fired another 3 shot group right along side it using the same load and same POA. This group measured 2.5" but hit 7" low. So taking into consideration the first group was already 2..5 inches low of my POA, it was only some 4.5" lower. A big difference with that big hollow point (its 1/4" wide by .3" deep). And yet, the very sharp pointed bullet did not prove to be any more accurate in the first test or impact higher than the standard blue Barnes tips?

richie332 said:
I just did a test last week and posted the results over on Hank's Message board and it concerned the Barnes 290 TEZ (flat base)
First I shot a group at 300 yards that measured 2" and hit 2.5" below my POA. Then I loaded a fourth bullet that I had removed the plastic tip and machined an aluminum tip which make it look like a Parker Match Hunter to Pittman bullet. I would have thought the BC would have really increased?........In fact, it printed right inside one of the existing hole and made the last three shot group actually .850". \
So, next, I remove the plastic tips from three of the 290 TEZ's and fired another 3 shot group right along side it using the same load and same POA. This group measured 2.5" but hit 7" low. So taking into consideration the first group was already 2..5 inches low of my POA, it was only some 4.5" lower. A big difference with that big hollow point (its 1/4" wide by .3" deep). And yet, the very sharp pointed bullet did not prove to be any more accurate in the first test or impact higher than the standard blue Barnes tips?

Good Report :yeah: I'm going to try the 290's in a 700ML Rem-Brux I'm working on.

Back