SMI loads-Please list your best Loads.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaHunter

Reaction score
Standard SMI barrel on NEF frame with Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40.
100_0500.jpg

.40 cal. 200 grain SST with MMP blue sabot. 43 grains of N-110. Lower right shot was the fouling shot. Upper right is the next two shots!! Shots 4,5,6 are 1" to 1 1/2" high... 97 yards laser verified...
40sst.jpg

Barnes 275grain XPB with Harvester standard black sabot. 57 grains of N-120. Shot by "Grouse" with my gun at a laser verified 87 yards.
Tomsgroup9-30-200211-11-11AM.jpg

My 28 twist .45 SMi shoots the .40 cal 200 grain HXTP into 1.25 inches with 53 grains of IMR-4198, one Harvestor sabot, 1 WW, and the CCI 209M primer. One of the 50 cal shoots the 250 grain HXTP into 3/4 inch at 50 yards with 20 grains of IMR-4756, an MMP-12 sabot, and the CCI 209M primer. This load developed for my grandson @ about 1700 fps.The same componentS above substituting 44 grains of 5744 will shoot into 1.5 inches at 100 yards. With the 44 grain grain load of 5744 and using a Hornady 300 grain XTP, It will shoot into 3/4 inch at 100 yards. The second 50 cal SMI will shoot the 250 HXTP into 3 inches at 100 yards with 66 grains of 2015, the MMP-12 sabot, and a CCI 209m primer the only load thus far tried in this barrel. In all three barrels loads are developed with the Hornady XTPs and then Shockwaves or Barnes MZ's are substituted and checked for accuracy. In most cases the accuracy stays very close to the same and requires very little scope adjustment to put the new bullets on the money.

Gun: TC Encore with SMI barrel.
P7010105.jpg

So far my best load:
Barnes TMZ 290GR and 57GR VV N120, MV 2150 (group in the center of thetarget):
P8130006.jpg

My new Savage/SMI with 59 grains of N-120 and a 275 XPB and a varified 107 yards...

275xpb1.jpg

Pat,
You sure have that thing dialed in. Did you start with 57 grains and see if you could tighten things up? Were you able to chrony that 59 grain load? I think that the deer in your area may need to consider purposely hearding up with cattle to get some protection.

IndianaHunter said:
My new Savage/SMI with 59 grains of N-120 and a 275 XPB and a varified 107 yards...

275xpb1.jpg

bigmedicine said:
Pat,
You sure have that thing dialed in. Did you start with 57 grains and see if you could tighten things up? Were you able to chrony that 59 grain load? I think that the deer in your area may need to consider purposely hearding up with cattle to get some protection.

Stu, I went right to 59 grains with the new SMI. It is a heavier gun so I pushed it a bit. I still might go to 60 grains and see what it does.

I was not able to use my chrony that day but will on my next trip to the range.

As for the cattle....none in the area so its just us vrs. them... 8)

I am looking to get a smokeless inline, and I thought savage was the only way I could go. Now after joining this forum I see different. I have a NEF .22-250, what is a SMI barrel and would it be cheaper to get that instead of a savage. Any input would be very nice.

Thanks, Chad
By the way I live in Canada so it would have to be something I can buy here or import here.

My SMI Ruger No. 1 ready to go

Greetings all,
After a little bit of playing around, I finally have settled on my load for deer season. I messed around down at Atturbury, but then had a chance to go back to my parents place - amazing how familiar surroundings can settle you down. It was 34 degrees in Illinois that morning - chillly, but far from cold.
I was able to shoot on Sunday (04NOV) - slight wind in the morning. Load was 72 grains AA2015, HPH 12 sabot, Barnes 275gr XPB, and winchester primers. While I was getting good groups at Atturbury at the 100 yard line (sighted in at 1" high), I was really interested to see how the load patterned at 150 yards. The following target was at a laser verified 147 yards. The first shot was the far right impact (I had fully cleaned the bore/breech plug the night before). The next 3 were right on.
IMG_4405.jpg

I just wiped the gun down and put it back in the box - I won't touch it again until opening morning. Actually, I may load the thing (powder/sabot/bullet only) so I don't have to futz around prior to getting in my tree stand.
Anyway, the thing shoots just fine - I just hope I hold up my end of the bargain when the time comes.
Good luck everyone!

Fantastic group Stu!!! I would say you are good to go. I could never get those bullets to group for me, but wish I could.

Encore/SMI barrel

nugbuk said:
61GR N120
TMZ 290GR
MV 2360
P9100026_1.jpg

Thinking of this barrel in 50 cal. for my Encore. Can you give me the pros and cons.

Howdy,

I have an H&R 45/70 with a Douglas barrel converted by SMI. I have been having great success using smokeless powders and sabotless bullets.

One load in particular is a 250FTX Hornady with 10/50 Blue Dot/IMR4198 and .060 Veg wad Win 209. Great combo.

rambler

I have a 28" 50 cal SMI Encore. I bought it from nugbuk who posted above.

95 grains by weight of BH209
.458 Barnes Original 300 grain with an MMP24 black sabot
shoots sub MOA at around 2250 FPS
Federal Primer

50 grains by weight h4198
.458 Barnes Original 300 grain with an MMP24 black sabot
shoots sub MOA at around 1900 FPS
Federal Primer

Both of those loads you must swab between shots to get it loaded. They shoot great but are very high loading pressure. I found the mmp24 is the only sabot I got to shoot. I tried harvester ribbed black and orange. I tried 250 grain barns TEZ and 325 grain power belt ELR with ok results but not bullet touching.

I have a 50 cal swing lok die. I am going to try bull bore furrys at some point.

SMI is a brand, "Smokeless Muzzleloading Inc." This topic is about that BRAND not SMLs in general.

So your load is in a SMI conversion or SMI addon barrel? They offered both at one time.

Latest posts

Back