Savage alert, new owners please read.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have left mine loaded for a couple weeks with no ill effects... I just don't take it inside, changing temps.

Yes, I do the same thing here. I hunt every day of our nine day season and once the gun is loaded it stays in the truck the entire season or until I get a shot or ????

Rapid temp changes such as bringing the gun in the heated or air cinditioned house or even turning on the heat or AC in the truck can cause moisture to develop and ruin your charge. Don't take any chances and be very careful.

Dave

Hi Tom,
when you say replace the ventliner after 25-30 shots,do you mean reinstall the same one or install a new one ?
How many rounds can we get out of a Factory Ventliner before it is done ?

Bwana said:

I would put a new one in for the start of hunting season. I would not shoot a factory liner past 40 shots during hunting season. On the range during the summer you could shoot one till you lose your accuracy.

Bwana said:
Hi Tom,
when you say replace the ventliner after 25-30 shots,do you mean reinstall the same one or install a new one ?
I agree with Grouse; however, it life of the ventliner is affected by type of powder and strength of the load. RW sells ventliners that are made of much tougher stuff - I usually got over 200 shots with his, even with heavy loads. I think the Sav ventliners are better than what they used in the past: I use RB's conversions with bushings so I no longer use ventliners, nor do my breechplugs foul. This takes care of a major cause of growing in-accuracy with the Savage.

Bill said:
I've been shooting frontstuffers for 30 years. I currently own 5-Two Knights, one RMC, and 2 TC rifles. I purchased a savage MLII two years ago. I sold it for 200 bucks this winter. Worst POS I've ever owned. The only good feature on that rifle was the accutrigger. The stock is tupperware. The fit and finish are terrible. My barrel touched out on one side with a quarter inch gap on the other. The bolt stop is a joke. I sent my gun to one of the gurus on the other site to be accurized. He sent it back-no charge. He did suggest I try a laminate stock, but since I don't hunt with a gunbearer, I unloaded the Savage. My next smokeless will be the NULA. Fire away!

If you know of another $200 Savage...let me know! 8)

Wouldn't trade my Savage 10MLII for anything.
I have owned TC Hawkens, TC Encore and Knight MK85, but none can compare to my Savage in regards to accuracy,power and overall lower cost to shoot per shot.

The lack of smoke obscurring my shot is also paramount in my opinion.
The ease in cleaning and lack of powder residue and the fact that that residue is non-corrosive are also a plus. I do admit that the breechplug does require some extra maintenance, but with that in mind, still is my choice of muzzleloaders.

Additionally, though I am not currently the owner of a NULA, I would like to be the owner of one of those as well to reduce the carrying weight, while having the adavantage of smokelss powder. :D :D

Excellant posts by all!!

So I am a newbie with a new Savage. I amconcerned about the rear action bolt as well and would like to know where to find a bolt with the plunger as this may be preferable to having a gunsmith put in another pillar with a new bolt.
Where do you find RB's mod on the breech plug or vent liner?
Would like to rectify these before I work up my load.
Thanks

Hal

flatland hunter said:
Why should we fire away? Every manufacturer has duds... why not send it back to Savage to take care of instead of unloading it on an unsuspecting buyer? Unless you told him it was a dud in your estimation...

+1 flatland hunter

I have owned several blackpowder rifles over the years. TC Hawkens,TC Renegade,TC Encore, Knight MK85. Of those above they all had their problems, although the Knight was exceptionally good and only minor issues.

However, since I went the smokeless route with my HB Savage, I will never turn back to blackpowder or even substitutes. I have the extreme flexibilty to go as fast or as slow as I want. Granted the HB was bedded/third pillared so my Savage problems were minimal compared to a factory stuffer. But wanting or desiring the smokeless performance does come with it's own set of problems to deal with.

My main complaint about the Savage is the breechplug/ventliner maintenance, barrel cooling time as mentioned by others and the weight of the laminate version.
Since weight was an issue, I bought a NULA and am happy about that purchase even with some primer fit problems that I know will be resolved.

Bottom line, the Savage 10ML is a great factory muzzleloader and being smokeless makes it even better.

For all you lurkers on the fence...

I have an Encore for sale!! :lol:

just kidding....not really, pm me 8)

Savage

Where on the internet are you seeing those smokeless ML'ers FS I will gldly trade an Encore For One. I may just have SMI make a smokeless barrel for my Encore as I already have a Henry Ball. Pro

These savages can and do shoot great! you need good vent liner change every 30 shots and time/cool weather(sabots hate heat) 15min-20 between shots . I've have 2 ML-II both are shooters!

Dave,
Be careful down here. It's illegal to use smokeless powder down here in fl. It says no nitrates. So by rights you can not use 209 either.

I got an early 10ml2 prior to accutrigger and my cousin has a 10Ml1. They have killed lots of deer in Southern Ohio. My 10ml2 has been tempermental with respect to loads and sabots. My cousins 10ml1 is less particular and has been a more willing test subject., Recently I had SMI make me a barrel for H&R that has made life more simple. I shoot a 65 grain lIMR4198 load with the recommended harvester sabot and 250grain .452 Hornady Bullet. Its consistent, Its repeatable, Its simple. Will this kinda load work with the Savages? We had been using 48 grains IMR4227 with 250/300 grain Hornady .452 projectile, Would very much like to weigh out single load that can be used in 10ML1, 10ML2, and SMI. We are generally making shots within 100 yards, All guns are scoped with 2-7 X 32 Mueller Scopes. Everyone has stock breech plugs, Everyone can be updated to new breech if necessary. Just want to keep things simple and repeatable. We can sacrifice performance, but not safety. I would think additional powder would be pushed from shorter barrel if not consumed. Not tried this particular load in these guns yet. However maybe someone in this community has done it already.

Its been a long time since I shot the savage ml-2. If you try the 4198 load and 250 gr bullets, make sure your bullet-sabot combination loads two hands tight and seat bullet firmly. Some people had issues with these loads not firing back then, but with said loading pressure, I did not have these fail to fire issues. If your primers seal good, in your plug, you should be OK.

Constant ignition and wide fps swings are 2 different matters. That light of a bullet might be fine in 80F temps but when deer season temps roll around i think you will find that load to be problematic in a MLII 50cal. According to RBinAR, around 70gr of 4198 and a 250gr bullet only yields about 2400fps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back