Perma-Gel bullet test!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gel

It appears all of the bullets would do the task at hand for deer. Bullet construction sure has come a long way.
Soon you will be able to test them on real deer. It doesn't appear you could go wrong with any of them as long as they are accurate.

DW said:
Great post, you wouldn't happen to have any Parker 250 BE's would you, would love to see how they compare to the Bonded SW.

DW,

I feel at smokeless speeds the 250 Bonded is a better bullet than the 250 BE. Both remained in 1 pc over 42gr of 4759 (about 2250 fps)but the 250 BE is paper thin and at it's limit where the 250 bonded looks as it should.

I am going to shoot some 250 BE's at 777 speeds in the near future. ...

I have a feeling they will be a good compromise between the 250 SW and the 250 Bonded SW..

I think it would be interesting to cast a few blocks with a fresh deer humerus sections accross the front. When the bullet hit the bone it would be a great test of breaking power and penetration after bone impact.

I have been killing deer with the .430 200 grain XTP HP for close to 15 years now. This is from a T/C Renegade over 90 grains of Pyrodex Select or FFG Black. Bang flops are common but if you hit a big bone the damage is awsome but penetration really suffers. I try to avoid front shoulder shots at all costs.

The past few years I have been shooting the Savage 10 ML II .50 using the .452 250 grain XTP HP and I am getting the same basic performance. To me it is a toss up as to wether I want the positive expansion of the 250 in lung shots or the bone breaking power of a 300.

Mythbuster ain't got nothin' on you!!

Excellent thread. Thanks for taking the time!

Hakx

Great thread.I learned enough to be even more confused as to what bellet to shoot.
Very informative,thanks

gel test

thats an assume report very informative and eye opening. :shock: :shock:
was wondering if you've done any work with 45cals with the 357 or 40cal bullets?
thanks for all the time and effort :applause: :applause:

Re: gel test

bp45cal said:
thats an assume report very informative and eye opening. :shock: :shock:
was wondering if you've done any work with 45cals with the 357 or 40cal bullets?
thanks for all the time and effort :applause: :applause:

I just aquired a NIB .45 Disc Elite. I hope to do some testing in the late spring.

Thank you so much for sharing your test results. That's more pertinent information than I've ever seen in any publication. I really like the way that TMZ looks, those petals look sharp. Will have to give them a try in the off season. Now, go kill one of those Ohio giants! I'm almost out the door for the weekend. Taking the Weatherby this weekend, the real goal is to guide my dad to a deer. The 28th starts muzzleloader here in MO, can't wait to break out the Sidekick.

For a big game load comparison, I wonder how the 300 grain bonded shockwave compares to the 290 grain tipped barnes at smokeless velocities. Also maybe the .458 barnes original the Randy Wakeman touts.

Honestly all 3 would work great. I would be more opt to use the 300gr Bonded or the Barnes TMZ as they are good bullets. The 300 Original is a really tough bullet IMHO. It has a very heavy jacket and maybe it would be good on something like a Buffalo?? Besides that.. with the limited production runs of the Barnes Original... you better stock up or you might be out of luck.

Thanks a lot for all of the work you've been doing! It is very informative for those of us who are not able to personally test different kinds of bullets. I was VERY surprised that the powerbelt penetrated as much as it did. I was also pleasantly surprised at the performance of the .40 cal 200 grain Shockwave. I've been using the 200 grain XTP's, but have been considering switching to the Shockwave/SST because they are more accurate in my rifle and flatter shooting - I was just nervous to switch to an "unknown".

Keep up the good work!

'09 Deer Season is comming !!

Any idea how the 250 Grain Hornady SST High Speed/Low Drag perform with supplied sabots over 42 Grains of 4759 in the 10MLII ?

Flex Tip

That's the one.
I remember reading somewhere that the Original Hard Tip SST had better Terminal Performance but the new Easy Load Red Sabot sure does make loading easier especially at colder temps..
If you can,please try the hotter 4759 loads as well.

Hey guys,

Hope this finds everyone well and Happy New Year. Just a quick note on the 250 XTP. On New years eve, that bullet and 42 grains of N-110 from my Nula, Smashed a 184 incher (live weight 280 lbs). It was a high shoulder shot at 60 yards and the buck never took a step. Bullet was recovered on the opposite side. That same load did in two does a few days later with the same results DRT. Thanks again for all that you gentlemen do. It's much appreciated !

warrior said:
Hey guys,

Hope this finds everyone well and Happy New Year. Just a quick note on the 250 XTP. On New years eve, that bullet and 42 grains of N-110 from my Nula, Smashed a 184 incher (live weight 280 lbs). It was a high shoulder shot at 60 yards and the buck never took a step. Bullet was recovered on the opposite side. That same load did in two does a few days later with the same results DRT. Thanks again for all that you gentlemen do. It's much appreciated !

Congratulations warrior!

What state were you hunting? Got any pics of the bruiser?

Latest posts

Back