Lyman Trade Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Today I just had an urge to shoot. I wanted to shoot a flintlock. And was running out of time. So I threw a target up. Turns out it was only 35 yards out. But that's ok. I wanted to have some fun.

I then looked at the rack and decided I had not shot my Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock in .54 caliber in ages. I had shot the .50 Trade Rifle a lot but kind of put that one on the back burner so to say.

Anyway I got it out. Some home cast .530 round ball, a chunk of pillow tick, some moose milk, a new flint, a new pound of powder, and grabbed the rifle bag and headed out.

2-DSCN0612_zps1be2466f.jpg

I got all set up and began shooting. The rifle's ignition was flawless. So I decided to shoot it dirty.

1-DSCN0608_zps7941bb3a.jpg

I checked the patches and they looked about perfect other then the powder marks. So there was no complaint there.

Now 35 yards is close range. I know that and so do you. But the group was still a little impressive.

3-DSCN0613_zps7e3307a7.jpg

The rifle has the old style buckhorn sights that I happen to really see well over. The first shot on a clean bore was a little off. I could live with that. Then I just started hammering. Shooting as fast as I dare load. I did swab about every third or fourth shot. That upper HOLE.. I really did loose count as to how many times I shot there. I would guess, and only a guess...10. So I decided to see if I could lower my POA and sneak one in the bull. The first try, I was excited and knew I pulled the shot. The last shot of the day, I did it all right... took my time, set my sight and squeezed it off. Pretty good for me.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Nice shootin' Dave. You've got a nice set up out back.........

Ray............ :yeah:

the best part is, everything goes into a bullet trap at the end of the course. I don't collect the lead but I do feel good knowing that nothing goes stray on me.

That's great shootin' Dave. What is your trap/backstop ? Dirt mound?

The projectiles first hit a two foot thick spruce logs cut and stacked. Believe it or not they do make it through that spruce sometimes. Then the hit treated lumber. That is the snow covered stuff in the bottom picture. If they get through that, they hit 3/4 inch steel plate set at a 45º angle. That throws the bullet to a dirt base. If by some miracle they make it through the steel (none have yet) they hit more wood. And then a dirt hill side.

muzzleloaders007-001.jpg

that is looking down the shooting range

Genesis003.jpg

that is the steel plate. Its the runners off road graters.

muzzleloaders005-2.jpg

I have this thing about being safe. In fact I talked to a person about dumping three truck loads of dirt there. He looked at the trap and told me to save my money.

Hey I thank you still got there on the last shot of the day. And your range is good, you should have no worries about stopping the bullet.

Dave, a stack of tires filled with sand works great for a trap. I like to use 3 stacks, 2 side by side, then 1 stack in the middle but behind the first 2.

sqezer said:
Dave, a stack of tires filled with sand works great for a trap. I like to use 3 stacks, 2 side by side, then 1 stack in the middle but behind the first 2.

Originally, that was my first bullet trap. I piled tires filled with sand. And you're right... it stopped the the bullets. But eventually the tires started to disintegrate. And then the steel cords were out, and when I tried to get the lead out of the sand, those steel cords that were broken became dangerous. Plus after I tore it all apart, they recycle center would not take them. I just had that steel offered to me and it made a perfect back stop.

Latest posts

Back