Navy Arms musket caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought some old Navy Arms musket caps, 4 tins 3 unopened still in sleeve, the will not fire until the 2nd hammer fall, Ive sanded the nipple down until they slide down on it but are still tight enough not to fall off...they fire 2nd try everytime but never on the 1st try, is there something different about these older caps as far as size that would make them do this, hate to sand much more off nipple, my CCI caps fire everytime.

It might be the tight fit of the nipple to the top hat. Something to try.. put the musket cap on and then really push down hard on it. See if that don't make it fire on the first shot. This is a guess now... either the first hit is setting the cap, or you might have a weak hammer spring. I have a #11 rifle that does the same thing. I have tried a brand new nipple and it still does the same thing. Its an old rifle, so I suspect the spring is weak.

I took a small screwdriver and pushed on it(cap) as hard as I can to seat it and still does it, the gun is a inline my .54 BK and it fires newer style musket caps 1st shot everytime, will have to screw with it some more..

cayuga said:
It might be the tight fit of the nipple to the top hat. Something to try.. put the musket cap on and then really push down hard on it. See if that don't make it fire on the first shot. This is a guess now... either the first hit is setting the cap, or you might have a weak hammer spring. I have a #11 rifle that does the same thing. I have tried a brand new nipple and it still does the same thing. Its an old rifle, so I suspect the spring is weak.

dbowling said:
I took a small screwdriver and pushed on it(cap) as hard as I can to seat it and still does it, the gun is a inline my .54 BK and it fires newer style musket caps 1st shot everytime, will have to screw with it some more..

Well went back and got my other Black Knight out and tried the Navy Arms caps in it and they fire everytime just like the CCI`s so your assessment of a weak spring was correct..thanks for the help.

cayuga said:

Back