perfect example of a strange day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Well my chainsaw chain needs to be replaced, so I took the day off. Otherwise I would be pounding out the firewood for next year. Got to get that done before bug season.

It was beautiful and I headed for my range. I wanted to shoot my Custom TVA Early Lancaster .54 caliber Rifle. I set the target at 35 yards as further then that, would require walking in snow and I did not feel like it. I wanted to have fun. It was 30ºs very sunny, little wind and you did't need a heavy coat, just a light spring jacket. Perfect shooting weather.

So I get everything ready. Aim and shoot the first shot.

1-DSCF0120_zpsvmj0vt9f.jpg

While #1 was a clean barrel.. I did not expect that at all. Why so low? Checked my notes and they said.. rifle shoots right to top of front sight at 50 yards. OK I was aiming under the center and that's where it hit. So I adjust my POA. Far too early in the breaking in game to move sights. Now I was swabbing between shots as this rifle is hard to load otherwise. Ignition was perfect...

Shots 2-4 go off and I am just left of the bull. Now I admit, the front sight is hard to see with my new eyes. The target is crystal clear but combining the sights and the targets have a slight challenge. I might change the color of that german silver front sight to something strange but visible. But the group is good. Shot #5 misfire. I look and the touch hole is blocked. So out comes the nipple pick and I pick it clean. #5 again, slight hang fire but it goes off. And now the flint comes loose. And when I look at the target I am shocked to see where it hit. I mean the hangfire was slight.. but not that bad. Had to be me.

Tighten the jaws of the lock holding the flint, fire #6, Perfect ignition since the touch hole was picked and rifle swabbed. But I look and the flint is no longer in the jaws... no more flints in bag, done for the day. Just an example of a strange day for me.

Put that rifle away and got out my .22 and began spinning the spinner targets in the yard. They'd been hidden by snow all winter as I forgot to take them in. I am sure they missed me. But I did not miss them. That Sig Sauer 522 is a heck of an accurate rifle.

Dave,
That group ins't shabby at all considering all the little obstacles along the way . Some guys wish they could group like that with a flintlock, me included. In my book that's good shooting. :applause: :applause:

Ray............ :yeah:

Well I put a new Thomas Fuller English Flint in it now. I have a lot of them and took a diamond wheel on a dremel and ground all the humps off them so they are real solid in the jaws of a flintlock. Next chance out (been snowing for two days and I did fix the chain saw) I will give that rifle another chance. I might put a fine piece of black Duct Tape on the back side of the German Silver front sight and see if that makes it easier to pick up on the range.

Dave,
I picked up a small jar of model paint, flat black and it worked on my German Silver front sight blade. It made a big difference for me. I didn't loose it with the bright sun.

Ray.........

Back