George Daw 19b - back to life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Completed a long restoration on a little shotgun. Made by George Daw probably in the 1840's, 19 bore. New hammer, solder rib, ramrod and lots of work. The best part about it was the surprise of the damascus pattern! Gun weighs a little over 4 1/2 pounds.
We'll be shooting it in a few weeks at Friendship.

Attachments

• 1 Daw lock.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 588
  • 2 Daw loose.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 588
  • 3 Daw lt stock.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 588

Attachments

• 5 Daw finish lock.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 587
  • 6 Daw NEW cannon.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 587
  • 4 Daw Solder a.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 587

Attachments

• 7 Daw NEW muz.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 587
  • 8 Daw finish lt butt.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 9 Daw finish full.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 587
:applause: :applause:

Looks great :!: :!: Have some fun with it now that the work is over :wink:

Ray............ :yeah:

Very nice restoration job!! A real beautiful shotgun. Although I am not sure I would ever shoot it. Those old Damascus barrels scare me. There used to be a shotgun very similar to that hanging on my Grandfather's wall. After he died the scavengers swarmed in and I never did hear who took the shotgun. It would have been a nice memory.

Good luck if you do decide to shoot that thing. I know they did not take a very large powder charge. But you did very nice work on it.

How did you bring the Damascus pattern back? I have an English 12 bore rifle that's Damascus but it's pretty "faded". The rest of the gun is in great condition, including the bore. I'd love the barrel to match the condition of the wood and lock.

Thanks

Smokejones:
Rust brown, lots of work. This one is black rather than brown.
There are guys who do it all the time, I'll PM you after I gather some names..

Honestly, a lot frown on restoring an original. It also degrades the value. IMO if the gun is too far gone like this Daw, it's really the only option.

> Rust brown, lots of work.

Oh. I didn't realize it would be that intensive. I was hoping there was some "cleaning" process I could use to bring the pattern out some.

>Honestly, a lot frown on restoring an original.

I'm with you there.

Beautifle work on the Daw tho.

Thanks

Re: George Daw 19b - offset nipple?

Say, is that an offset nipple in the Daw?

52Bore said:
Completed a long restoration on a little shotgun. Made by George Daw probably in the 1840's... We'll be shooting it in a few weeks at Friendship.

So, how was it?

Performed wonderfully!
Not a single issue- good for another 100 years.
2 1/4 drams and 7/8 oz busted many clays. The youngsters had a blast!
Thanks for asking.

Beautiful Work on the 19b! Really looks great.

Honestly, a lot frown on restoring an original. It also degrades the value. IMO if the gun is too far gone like this Daw, it's really the only option

Could not agree more. If they are that bad they can be a nice little challenge to get them back. Congrads on a great job. :yeah:

Back