1/4 x 28 nipples for #10 caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokejones

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for good quality, standard (1/4 x 28) nipples that would take #10 caps?

I have several thousand of the latter and would hate so see them go to waste.

Thanks

Put them for sale online. Lots of boards like this one and online places like gunbroker.com, which I think allows gun accessories sales also.

I am in a similar boat, having a thousand RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 caps for a ML sidelock that sits on my wall. I am about to switch to Winchester 209 primers (my inlines), having many boxes of Federal 209A primers on-hand. So it won't be long before I sell-off all my overstock.

thats a typical TC nipple Track of the wolf, dixie, any known ML supplier should carry them in several configurations
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/2
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?s=1&keywords=nipple
sizes from manufacturers vary by a micron or three, But for the most part, the circumference of #10 and #11 caps are pretty much the same. a #10 typically has a shorter skirt. I have substituted either/ or back and forth in several guns and Ive never had any real problems

Squeeze said:
...sizes from manufacturers vary by a micron or three...
To say the least. I've found that Remington caps are larger than CCI, and CCI #10s are significantly smaller than their #11s.

Hence the search for #10 nipples.

Guess I'll chuck up a 1/4x28 nut in my drill press and file some #11 nipples down to size.

smokejones said:
TripleSe7en said:
Put them for sale online.

I think they require shipping as hazardous materials.

Besides, it would more fun to use them :)

Every regular member here already knows that. We already know that should we decide to sell them online, that we will need to sell them for less than 50 cents on a dollar.
For some, that's the only way to find a new home for the caps. For instance: If I know I will never use several hundred caps and no one within vehicle range of me will buy them, then I'm resigned to selling them very cheap...... probably for 25 cents, versus a dollar spent.

I am not a keeper of #11 caps that I will never use again. If you are, that's your option to have an igniting item in your home that you will never use.

I have chucked more than a few nipples in a drill to thin or refurbish. half the time to turn down the peening, and half to thin for small caps. I got a sleeve of a thousand #10 caps a few years back when nothing was available. (probably just after the last election) and remember turning down a bunch of nipples. now Im on to a sleeve of #11's and they all work fine on the same guns, still using those refurbished nipples. I bought a few used sidelocks, and there were some that must have been dry fired quite a bit or something. some must have at least several hundred shots again on refurbished nipples, and look better than before I turned them. I dont remember ever even using a nut. usually you can chuck them past the threads on the body. I now have plenty of replacement nipples, but the old are still working, so the stay in use.

Squeeze said:
...I dont remember ever even using a nut. usually you can chuck them past the threads on the body.
I was thinking that the nut would center up better than the body of the nipple, and give me a "quick change" chuck.

Latest posts

Back