Tell me about traditional muzzle loading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brohymn2

Reaction score
Thinking bot getting one since you don't need a firearms license in canada to posess one.

Do you like shooting? Good. Now that that's settled, all you need is a gun.

A good place to start is with a Tompson Center side lock percussion rifle (Hawken, Seneca, New Englander, etc.) in any caliber. There's a lot of them available, the quality is uniformly excellent, and if they've been well cared for, they're accurate, easy to clean, and fun to shoot.

Next is a copy of the Lyman Black Powder Handbook (or something similar) to show you what you need in the way of basic gack (something to hold and dispense powder, a measure, perhaps a funnel, etc.) and give you a good sense of the procedures for shooting a muzzleloader.

Then find a club or a match for muzzleloaders.

If the folks you find are like any of the clubs I've been with, you'll have all the advice you need (which seems to be more or less universally true of any firearms activity :).

Traditional muzzleloaders are not as hard to figure out as many think. And not only are they accurate but can shoot a very deadly projectile. Traditional rifles come in two basic styles although there are other variations of even older weapons. But a percussion cap, normally a #11 cap or musket cap, and the other is a flintlock. Both can be figured out and the pleasure you get from shooting them is tremendous.

For beginners I often suggest a percussion cap model. One that shoots a #11 cap. Then you have to decide what twist you're wanting and what you want to shoot out of it. Also depending on the size of the animals you might hunt, the size of the caliber could be important. I personally like a .54 caliber rifle. They are good for up to moose if you can place your shot.

If I were asked to suggest a first time shooter's rifle it would be a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber. Percussion model. 1-48 twist. They shoot roundball, conical bullets and even sabots. They are dependable, easy to care for, and hard hitting.

Traditional shooting is a world to itself in my book. I started out with in lines but went right to the traditional percussion cap rifle. You have to want to shoot these rifles because it's all together different from other ML'ers and the CF's.
They are great fun trying to come up with a load that your rifle likes. Once you find that you won't stop shooting those side locks. I have a few rifles and I shoot them all but my favorite is my CVA Hawken .58 cal. It has a 32" barrel with a 1-66 twist. I shoot Hornady .570 lead balls. I only have shot Goex 2F and now I'm going to try T7. For the range I only use 60 grains but for hunting I like 90 grains. The percussion caps I use are the CCI/CCI Mag. Now for the shooting patches. I tried .015 pre moistened ox yoke patches but I was only getting about 4 to 5 shots before I had to swab the barrel. I then ordered some .015 DRY patches and applied mink oil. Got 15+ shots but after 7 or 8 shots I was loosing accuracy. I tried .018 w/mink oil and got the same results. Now I using a .020 patch that I applied a lube my friend came up with and it doesn't effect accuracy and acts as lube and rust preventive.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your self but you'll find it a lot different from in lines and CF's.............Good Luck :!:

Ray................ :yeah:

I don't know much about the laws in Canada.But here in Michigan As far as muzzleloaders go the sky is pretty much the limit.I have had a side lock muzzy for about 24 years and yhe only parts un altered on it are the stock and lock.I didn't like the barrel length so I cut it to my liking.The trigger broke so I made a new one.I did't like the rear sight so I changed it out for one from a Marlin .22.I did't like the front sight So I made a new one.The part that I like the best though is the load development and trying new loads.Different bullets powder charges and different powders.I would probly stick with a .50cal just for the ease of finding bullets.That way you are not stuck with limited bullet choices.For the .50cals there are about a million different bullets out there.Have fun and be safe.It can get very addictive.Just ask my wife. :lol:

Latest posts

Back