Thought she looked familiar

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Dixon's looking for a flinter. Was never very good with one, so I looked around at the other frontstuffers there on consignment. I spotted a very handsome percussion rifle sitting there all alone. She's an H&R Springfield Stalker .58 in NIB condition. I remembered that 8 years ago I traded my buddy a just out of cosmo No4 MK2 for it. He hadn't fired 20 shots from it. I put 10 through it and sold it for bill money. :(
The one at Dixon's had a familiar air about her, so I decided to get her. I like .58's and she handles like a dream! H&R used the same lock as they did on their repop 1873 Trapdoors. That extra notch, and WAY back 1/2 cock, will take getting used to! I looked up the rifle on the web and found I had posted about my Stalker and low and behold ITS MY OLD STALKER! Still NIB, in fact the Ampco musket nipple I put on her is unfired.Apparently the fellow who bought her was a collector and never busted a cap.
I'm thrilled to have her back and am seriously looking forward to getting blood on her SOON. She's tight bored. My 575213OS mold drops them at .577 and they're a no go. My Ideal 575123 drops at .576. Tight but doable. Will start looking for a sizer after I slug her proper. Of course there's also round balls... I think the rifling is 1-56 but can't find confirmation. Help appreciated.
At 7 1/2 pounds, she kicks as I remember... Glad I'm no fan of heavy charges. Hope my Black Diamond XR plays nice...

That's very cool. I think your ment to have it if it found its way back to you!

Dixon's is full of temptation! Slugged the barrel and she's .575 bore .587 groove. Still don't have an official twist rate yet. I'm shocked about how little info i can find about this rifle. I know they didn't make many but WOW!Would love a copy of the owner's manual...

Nothing like meeting up with an old girlfriend and she still loves you! What a treat. My 58 was my favorite "traditional" back before I went smokeless. Any pix? I'm always a sucker for eyecandy. W

Back