Cheap nipple?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner9130

Reaction score
Just tried out my Traditions Deerhunter kit I recently put together. After assembly I cleaned and oiled her up real good til I could get a chance to try her out. On my first outing I ran a dry patch to remove any oil down the bore, put a cap on her to burn off any oil in the breach and it went pop just like it should. On removal of what was left of the cap I noticed my nipple was cracked and split in 3 spots... I've been shooting MLs since I was 13(I'm 29 now) and have never encountered this before. Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me on to what exactly could cause this. It's a brand new gun with no obstructions of any kind. I used Winchester magnum #11 caps for modern synthetic powders in the hopes I'd get as reliable ignition as possible. My only guess is a cheaply made nipple. I plan to replace it with a stainless one and try again. I'm flummoxed and any info in regards to this issue would be much and greatly appreciated!

I had a T/C Hawken's nipple do the same thing. After about fifty shots, it split. I replaced it and wrote it off as a defective nipple. On my Black Mountain Magnum (T/C's traditional answer to the Omega) I had the hammer itself split. T/C replaced that.

There are some defective parts out there. Personally when I get a Lyman rifle, the first thing I do is change the nipple and keep the original as a spare.

yep, those offshore percussion ml's come with nipples that aren't all that reliable and will either split or mushroom far too soon. i just replaced the nipple on an investarms (i.e. lyman) hawken cobble-together with a hot shot s/s nipple from TOTW ... ah, far more reliable and therefore mo' bettah!

MMx5s5c.jpg

PBCkHQa.jpg

Hotshot or Spitfire nipples are all I buy. My favorite cap is the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075.

Great suggestions!
Again, thank you all for your posts!! :D

I'm gonna go ahead and purchase a few of the aforementioned nipples and see how they hold up (I'm sure they'll hold up a sight better than that crapper I got with my rifle) and just replace the ones currently on my other sidelocks and use the old ones as spares.

Anyone familiar with the 209 conversion nipples out there? A friend recommended I try one of those but I'm a little apprehensive. Just seems like more steps in the loading process if a follow up shot is needed.

I love my sidelocks and and have done fine with my #11s thus far.

Latest posts

Back