Lyman Plains bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobinIL

Reaction score
I purchased a box of bullet molds at an estate sale and one of the molds is a Lyman 395 grn plains bullet mold. Does anyone here use this bullet? I am not sure how it would shoot in a TC Hawken. I was going to hunt deer with the Hawken this year but with patched round ball not a conical.

I have the Lyman plains bullet in .54 cal. It doesn't shoot well in my Renegade or Rem 700ML. My Knight LK-93 shoots it great though.

I had that mould. Had is the key word. I got it when Hornady stopped making the 410 gr 50 cal. That was the worst bullet I have ever shot. I tried it with several different levels of hardness. I tried it with several different lubes.

This was an average group with the REAL at 100.

22505-25-07_Lee_real_3_5.jpg

Now this is a Lyman Plains bullet group at 50 yards.

2250398_felt_wad_50_yard_2.jpg

I never shot them farther because it would not be on paper. After I got to shooting paper patched bullets I went back and tried this bullet again and it still sucked. There are better bullets and much better moulds. I would not waste time with them.

Latest posts

Back