Second Shot Speed loader for traditional

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for tips and suggestions for the best/quickest speed loader for a follow-up shot while hunting with a traditional muzzleloader (in my case - TC Renegade).

I have used various market speed loaders for my TC Encore – but all are set up for 209 primers and sabot projectiles.

I have yet to find one that would work well to combine my Triple 7 powder, #11 primers, shot card and .503 lubed conical in one convenient, quick loader.

Thanks in advance for your help. OEH2

There used to be T/C speed loaders that opened on each end. You would put the powder, shot card, and patched ball in the correct order and then open the right end first and then the other end, pushing it all down. Then a short starter to set the ball, a longer short starter to drive the ball in, and then your ramrod to set it. They sell #11 cap holders (I like Ted Cash loaders) that hang around your neck. After you set the ball, then cap it.

Here is a word of advise. Make the first shot count and speed loading really is not necessary. I like to take my time. I like to do it right. I want a good load. and if the first shot was true, the second shot is only a what if. But I can also say that is the moment of the hunt, I have found myself loading as fast as I can. Some people make a loading block for the patch and ball that after you dump the powder, you set the loading block over the muzzle and you can then set the patch and ball real fast. I know one person that made a loading block out of a chunk of plastic. He even formed the one side to sit over the outside dimensions of the muzzle of his rifle. And the other end held the patch and ball. He could load really fast. (I told him to patent that loading block and sell them)

Make your own. Go to Home Depot and find some plastic tubing that your bullets slide into. Buy a couple of feet of it and some plastic caps that fit the outside size of the tubing. They can be cut to any length.
Pop of the caps, place over the muzzle and push the load in to the gun with your starter or ramrod.

When I shot traditional or inlines with smokey powder, 1964 to 2007, I used the tube type that opened on both ends. Load the tube in proper order, pop the bottom off and then put on muzzle and pop the top off and use starter to send load home. The tube caps had notches for the #11 caps and easily caped off the nipple. With practice I could reload and shoot in under 25 seconds. Many times got a 2nd deer and several times got 3 out of a herd before they figured out what was happening. Mostly shot PRB in the traditionals and "belted" bullets in the inlines. When I switched over to mostly musket caps just had a musket capper on a lanyard around my neck. Reloading with speed loaders is fast if you practice! In the "great war of northern aggression" era the troops were expected to be able to get off at last 3 and preferable 4 shots a minute. they were using cartridge boxes and paper cartridges made with nitride paper and Minnie bullets. If you have ever been to a reenactment it is amazing what a trained ML shooter can do for speed loading. W

Nitrided paper cartridges were generally used for revolvers. Being 20 years in the Army of Northern Virginia( 1st Texas) the paper rounds were bit open. Enfield rounds left the paper around the minie, while Springfield's had you separate ball from wrapper. I use paper cartridges for my repop 1853 Enfield with complete success. I make them to the original Springfield ( Burton) pattern. If I expect damp or humid conditions, I will use wax paper for the outer wrapper.
Yes, with an empty musket at shoulder arms, I can load , aim, fire and hit 3 rounds in 51 seconds. You get a rhythm after awhile...

The best actual speed loaders I've used are/were made by Butler Creek. They were a little bigger (internal diameter) than the CVA/Traditions versions you can buy today. Caps on both ends, completely open tube. I've had no issues using conicals or sabots in them. You can still find them on ebay, you just have to look. You could also use lane's tubes. I use them quite a bit now as well.

Latest posts

Back