We hit 42 degrees, maybe even more.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Today was so out of season for us. February is our cold and snow month most years. Today it hit 42 degrees maybe even more. The snow on the roofs were melting, sliding off, etc. So I grabbed a old bag of soft apples in the refrigerator and threw them into a snow bank on the shooting range. Those red apples stuck out so nice.

Into the house I grabbed the custom .54 caliber Early Lancaster Flintlock. Some might not remember but the rifle has a 42 inch swamped barrel made by Colerain. It has a 1-56 twist for round ball. A Chambers lock and Davis set triggers. So I went outside and set up my new portable shooters bench to try out. And with a loaded rifle the apples were 38 yards away.

Getting into the new shooting table was easy and taking aim, squeezed off a shot. The apple disappeared in a cloud of apple dust. That was too much fun. So we loaded again. 90 grains of Schuetzen 2f black powder and a home cast .530 round ball, pillow tick, moose milk lube and I was ready for another apple.

Second apple stared me in the face over that 42 inch barrel. Set trigger on, sight picture perfect. Squeezed the front trigger. Apple Dust again! Now I was pumped.

The entire day went like that. After the apples were all blow up, I began setting pieces of shot apple in the snow bank and dusted them too. After a wonderful day on the range, I took and put every thing away.

My usual cleaning method for the new flintlock is tooth pick in the touch hole. Fill the barrel with about a cup of dishwater and let it sit a while. (that's when I put the shooting stand away) Then with the toothpick still in place, I tip the barrel back and fourth with my thumb over the muzzle end. This lets the water slosh back and fourth in the barrel and helps to loosen any fouling.

Came in and empties the rifle of the dish water and five patches later, they were coming out clean. Made sure to dry the barrel good, wiped off the lock and frizzen, then ran oiled patches down the bore.

Tomorrow is suppose to be just as nice. So it will be another rifle tomorrow. Maybe the .58 caliber or one of the Lyman Great Plains Rifles. It was so nice to shoot again!

Sounds like a Great Day. I hope to get out tomorrow myself. This has been one Weird Winter!

above normal temps here also think we broke a record today was like 65 deg.. felt more like April supposed to be 67 deg. tomorrow and up to 68 deg. a couple days next week.. not going to get to shoot as I'm building a loft in my pole barn, been putting metal on the inside all week, glad you got to get out and shoot.

Back