A New Compatiable 1-48 bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just thought I would mention this in this section. I no most might not consider a non-traditional bullet but Lehigh has developed a new bullet that is compatible with a the 1-48 twist rifles. This is what most label as a 'premium' bullet. It is built with the same thought of superior 'Terminal Ballistics' as the other bullets Lehigh Defense makes. It is an all copper (no lead) bullet with an open hollow point nose. I think you will be really surprised with the performance of this bullet for harvesting game. It works on the same theory as do the Lehigh/Knight Bloodlines.

This is a .451x230CF-HP

02-451-230-SPM_medium.jpg

Active Link

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 6101510216

The bullet was developed for a couple of reasons. One member of the forum requested a .451 bullet that he could load in in his 1-32 twist NULA Smokeless ML - then I suggested asked about the bullet also being built to be compatible with a 1-48 twist rifle - goodness knows there are a lot of them out there. So from those two thoughts Lehigh Dave built the 451x230.

This is just my opinion, but I am not sure Lehigh Dave knew the true possibilities of this bullet. I have been shooting it for a couple of months now and really have accepted it as a great deer getter.

My first experiment with it came from my TC Renegade...

50_cal_Renegade.jpg

451-230_Work_Area.jpg

This rifle is set up with a tang peep site and it is one of the rifles that I use shooting PRB's at Rondy events. I did not change the sites at all just load up and shot...

Loading_230.jpg

This target reflects the results... it is only a 75 yard target but it shows the possibilities of the bullet in the accuracy department.

Lehigh_451-230.jpg

I loaded 100 grains of T7-3f, #11 Mag Cap, with a MMP HPH-24 sabot. That load produced a velocity of 1951 fps through the chrono.

I shot the bullet again yesterday from an inline then worked up the ballistic sheet for it.. This was shot with 120 grains of T7.

Lehigh_451x230CF_HP_120_T7.jpg

If you have an interest in this bullet go to Midway to purchase it - it is cheaper from them than Lehigh and when I worked up the order it was free shipping not sure if that still applies.

Sabotloader, That is impressive! Where do you get the proper Sabot jackets for this bullet?

Idaholewis said:
Sabotloader, That is impressive! Where do you get the proper Sabot jackets for this bullet?

I buy my sabots directly from MMP... but you should be able to find Harvester black 45x50 sabots in most sporting retail places - North 40 probably has them.

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

I buy my sabots directly from MMP... but you should be able to fine Harvester black 45x50 sabots in most sporting retail places - North 40 probably has them.

I will have to try these for sure, i have just about gave up on my stock 48 twist barrels, i have tried many different ways of paper patching with very little luck, i have 1 really nice old pre warning Renegade barrel in tip top condition with really low serial no. I would absolutely love to find a good load for that barrel! Last time i had it out i tried some BIG HEAVY PP bullets and it was AWFUL at best, i hit the ground in front of my target once, i actually seen the grass part and fold over in front of the target! That bullet bounced up and busted the frame of my target! LOL! It wasn't funny then, but kinda is now, i felt like wrapping that darn thing around a tree and moving on! I have 1 barrel that has that TC QLA Garbage muzzle, i would have been LONG rid of that rifle a long time ago but it was given to me by my dad, its sparkly clean and will likely remain that way from here on til im gone. I thought about having the QLA Cut off, or maybe sending the barrel to bobby Hoyt and having him bore it out to .58 and Twist it for round ball, not sure I'll do either? The Rifle is a TC New Englander literally like brand new, i just don't like the way it feels/fits. Do they make a Sabot outfit for .54 Cal 1:48 Twist that will shoot good?

Idaholewis said:
sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

I buy my sabots directly from MMP... but you should be able to fine Harvester black 45x50 sabots in most sporting retail places - North 40 probably has them.

I will have to try these for sure, i have just about gave up on my stock 48 twist barrels, i have tried many different ways of paper patching with very little luck, i have 1 really nice old pre warning Renegade barrel in tip top condition with really low serial no. I would absolutely love to find a good load for that barrel! Last time i had it out i tried some BIG HEAVY PP bullets and it was AWFUL at best, i hit the ground in front of my target once, i actually seen the grass part and fold over in front of the target! That bullet bounced up and busted the frame of my target! LOL! It wasn't funny then, but kinda is now, i felt like wrapping that darn thing around a tree and moving on! I have 1 barrel that has that TC QLA Garbage muzzle, i would have been LONG rid of that rifle a long time ago but it was given to me by my dad, its sparkly clean and will likely remain that way from here on til im gone. I thought about having the QLA Cut off, or maybe sending the barrel to bobby Hoyt and having him bore it out to .58 and Twist it for round ball, not sure I'll do either? The Rifle is a TC New Englander literally like brand new, i just don't like the way it feels/fits. Do they make a Sabot outfit for .54 Cal 1:48 Twist that will shoot good?

Yes they do make a 45x54 sabot and yes they should shoot just fine in your 54 with a short bullets. And I would bet that same 451x230 would shoot very well from the 54... Might have to try that I still have one or two of them in 54 - I think?

O gee! another reason to go shooting - Dang!!! :applause: :applause:

This target was shot many years ago using a 300 grain XTP - which I thought might be to long but worked very. The 250 grain lead/copper bullet would also do very well.

Renegade54.jpg

A second thought that would also probably work well is a 50x54 sabot shooting a Speer 50x300 Deep curl or jacketed bullet

4493.jpg

4495.jpg

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... &firearm=2

I shot the mmp purple sabots 54x50 with a 335 gen Rainer bullet in my Lyman trade rifle 1-48 twist. Shot under 2inch groups at 75yds. I bet the shorter 300 gen would be even better.

Harleysboss said:
I shot the mmp purple sabots 54x50 with a 335 gen Rainer bullet in my Lyman trade rifle 1-48 twist. Shot under 2inch groups at 75yds. I bet the shorter 300 gen would be even better.

I think I would agree with you, for the most I was told or it was suggested to me the 300 XTP's were to long for that twist. And with real BP or any of the Pyro's they may have been to slow to stabilize.

Today, if I were to run out shoot this same bullet from the 54 I would go to 110 grains or even 120 with a problem and really assure myself of stability.

I have some Sabot jackets, I have some Green ones for .50 Cal but no idea who made them? I have shot a few through my TC Scout Pistol. I also have some White ones for .54 Cal, I am pretty sure the white ones are Hornady? And they called for an XTP bullet. I have some 180 Grain, 200, and 300 Grain Hornady XTP bullets for .44 Magnum, wonder if these 180s or 200s would stabilize in a 1:48 Twist? Are these White Sabots any good? The Guy that owns the local sport store here gave me 200 of them, so the price was definitely right! They had been in that store a LONG time! Stuff like this doesn't sell much around here

Idaholewis said:
I have some Sabot jackets, I have some Green ones for .50 Cal but no idea who made them?

Totally guessing but I bet they are MMP but they are probably the old polymer formulation. I would not think they are the HPH variety. Green sabots were normally a 44x50 sabot.

I have shot a few through my TC Scout Pistol. I also have some White ones for .54 Cal, I am pretty sure the white ones are Hornady? And they called for an XTP bullet. I have some 180 Grain, 200, and 300 Grain Hornady XTP bullets for .44 Magnum, wonder if these 180s or 200s would stabilize in a 1:48 Twist?

As short as they are the really could stabilize in the 54 - but they were also made by MMP - packaged with Hornady name.

http://mmpsabots.com/store/mmp-standard-sabots/

_medium_mmpsabots_72926.JPG

Are these White Sabots any good? The Guy that owns the local sport store here gave me 200 of them, so the price was definitely right! They had been in that store a LONG time! Stuff like this doesn't sell much around here

Again as you can see the are the old standard polymer formulation - which is really OK as long as you shoot moderate loads with them. Hot loads tend leave plastic fouling in the bore...

Hot loads also can tend to tear the sabot up... the white one here is a standard and the red ones are HPH... Even the red HPH sabots that were made using the Power Star sabot mold did not look good after being shot - but the shots were accurate.

Torn_Power_Star.jpg

Another thought/product you might be interested in... A MMP Sub base... I use these for wads under my flat bottom lead bullets - one to help seal the gas and 2 - stop the melting of the bottom of the lead bullet when shooting T7 powder.

MMP_Sub_Base_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back