Choosing a good Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm pretty much a total beginner to muzzleloading and am looking to get a good gun. I've messed with my dad's 300 dollar Hawken rifle enough to know I never want a modern muzzleloader and I think I should start with a percussion cap.
That said I need some advice on what to buy. I'm looking to spend between 1200-1500 dollars for a Hawken, but I haven't been able to find any semi-custom Hawken builders. TVM makes some awful nice flintlock long rifles in that price range and I thought i could find a good Hawken for that but I may be wrong. I like the look of Pedersoli's Missouri River Hawken but i have seen a lot of mixed reviews on them and I'd rather buy from an American manufacturer anyways. Anyways not to keep rambling on I am just looking for all the advice I can get on what to look for and what to buy, also I'd like to keep it as historically accurate as possible.

Any and all comments and suggestions are extremely appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Caleb

Have you looked at these? I have no idea what the prices are, but I’d imagine well above what you mention spending? Cool to look anyway!! If i were gonna spend 1500, personally i would look very seriously at the Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken, i haven’t seen any bad reviews on them? Another important thing is what do you want to shoot, Roundball or Conicals? If Roundball is what you prefer to shoot you will want a Slow twist like 1:66, And if it’s bullets you prefer to shoot you would want a faster twist like the 1:24 to 1:32, There’s not a lot of options that i know of for American made Hawken style rifles?

http://whitemuzzleloading.com/on-sale/

The Pedersoli ‘Rocky Mountain’ Hawken is the slow twist Roundball version, and the Missouri River Hawken is the fast 1:24 twist Bullet/Conical shooter. If you haven’t read these Reviews on the Pedersoli Hawkens, I highly advise them! Down at the end of this Review you will find where TB also reviewed the 1:24 Twist Missouri River Hawken

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlrifle18.html

Try Oregon Gun Works, just saw couple Custom Hawkins around 1750 dollars

Hey thank you everybody for the replies and all the help, I am currently going through and checking out everything you guys sent me or suggested and I really appreciate it. And also i didn't mean mixed reviews as in Pedersoli was a bad gun I worded that wrong.
Some people felt that for the quality of the gun it was over priced and a few others have had an issue getting replacement parts but overall i have seen mostly good reviews from.

Thanks everyone, and heck yeah i was just looking in the 1200-1500 dollar range but i would be more than willing to save up some more money and even go 2000 if it got me a good looking dependable Hawken. Actually the Western Fur Trade rifle TVM makes was gonna be around 1700 by the time i got it to my door and that's what i was looking at hardest but i think i like the half stock Hawkens the best.

Thank you

Wow, i read that review on the Pedersoli rifle and that thing was gorgeous and it seems like it is a good gun for the price.
I think it's on Cabellas for like 1299 or something like that so I'm gonna look harder into that but the fact that custom gun on Gun Works has all American parts on it might cause me to save back a few more paychecks :D

Latest posts

Back