Pedersoli muzzloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
How many people think that pedersoli muzzloaders are worth the cost

Rlsmith said:
How many people think that pedersoli muzzloaders are worth the cost

I have never owned one, nor shot one, But i have handled a few of them and they are REALLY NICE in my opinion! They make a little .32 Cal they call a Scout that i would really like to have, But i think my favorite as far as looks, and my style of shooting is their Missouri River Hawken in .50 Cal with a 1:24 Twist, They make this same rifle in a .45 Cal as well but I don’t care for the odd 1:47 Twist. The few i have handled were very nice rifles! Are they worth the price? I honestly can’t answer that? Price for a rifle is a tough one, what i might happily pay for a certain gun, the next guy might cringe over? Without knocking Pedersoli, i have always felt like they were the Weatherby of Muzzleloaders, I currently own 2 Weatherby rifles, Vanguard S2’s, i feel they are a great value for what you get, But on the other hand, their fancy high grade Weatherby Mark V in my opinion is not? All in the “Eye of the Beholder”

Hey Lewis,
I always wanted a fast twist muzzleloader so I made 2 renegades, a blued and a stainless. Yesterday a couple friends of 52bore, Ray Hanson and Curt G, put me on a Pedersoli-Gibbs 1:18. It will be in the mail next week with a new LR sight on it. So, down the road I will tell you if I think they are worth the money. I do know I am very excited! viking

out of the box you ca't beat a Ped. Gibbs , 1-18 twist, one of best shooting long and short ramge target rifles. Believe me they have won tons of Medals and World Championships

It's used and I don't believe their is any chance I could learn enough to win any championship. I think it will be a blast to practice with !!! viking

Pedersoli has a Hunter Hawkens i think is cool. Its the one with a rubber butt pad and a 1-24 twist barrel. Pretty far from traditional but it sounds extremely functional if you prefer to shoot conicals. One thing to remember about Pedersoli they go above and beyond with proof testing barrels. That includes MLs for export unlike most of the rest. Their voluntary in house proofing exceeds CIP requirements.

They cost around $650 at Cabelas which is pretty good when you compare it to what Traditions wants vs what you get.
[youtube]E6GU7q4CKP8[/youtube]

GM54-120 said:
Pedersoli has a Hunter Hawkens i think is cool. Its the one with a rubber butt pad and a 1-24 twist barrel. Pretty far from traditional but it sounds extremely functional if you prefer to shoot conicals. One thing to remember about Pedersoli they go above and beyond with proof testing barrels. That includes MLs for export unlike most of the rest. Their voluntary in house proofing exceeds CIP requirements.

They cost around $650 at Cabelas which is pretty good when you compare it to what Traditions wants vs what you get.
[youtube]E6GU7q4CKP8[/youtube]

I forgot about this one, Way back on the CB forum i mentioned this gun, i was VERY interested in it but I couldn’t get any info to speak of? Buffalo Arms decided to start carrying Pedersoli about a year ago, i asked them about this exact rifle, i never got a response? I finally gave up on it. No doubt this would make an AWESOME little Hunting Rifle!! And 650 at Cabelas is truly a GREAT deal, when you take in the Cost of Say a Green Mountain LRH on the used market at 300 or so, I would go with this rifle!! Already setup

Pedersoli Hunter Hawkens looks like a great elk gun in a 50 or 54.
I think my plan now is a GM LRH 50 cal IBS barrel only and the hunt is on...
The Pedersoli Gibbs completes my collection of muzzleloaders...Until something else cool comes along I have to have.

viking said:
Pedersoli Hunter Hawkens looks like a great elk gun in a 50 or 54.
I think my plan now is a GM LRH 50 cal IBS barrel only and the hunt is on...
The Pedersoli Gibbs completes my collection of muzzleloaders...Until something else cool comes along I have to have.

You can’t go wrong with a GM LRH, i have 3 LRH interchangeabe barrels (ibs) .45, .50, and the super rare .54 Cal, They are no doubt my favorite barrels, My .50 is a Stainless, as far as cleaning goes NOTHING compares to the ease of this Stainless barrel, i shoot mostly Paper Patch in it, when i clean this barrel it takes just a few minutes to be pulling cotton white patches, and they stay that way, unlike the Blued versions that ALWAYS show a tinge of Brown color after you pull them from the water and run dry patches (Carbon Content in the steel??) Its no big deal, When you know you have them good and clean, and bone dry, you run an oily saturated patch back n forth and you dont see any Brown. It’s like a flash rust, it only happens when you remove it from the water, and stops immediately when oiled, I don’t give a second thought anymore. The downside to my Stainless is it’s a ‘Finicky’ barrel to get to shoot REALLY good, for some reason this barrel will not shoot a pure soft lead bullet worth a darn? But when i bump the hardness up to 8-9 BHN it comes alive! Odd deal? My blued barrels will shoot either or just as good, I favor my blued GM LRH barrels.

I will say that my Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 Cal is an AWESOME shooter as well, That big long thing flat out shoots!! And its not picky in the least, This thing will shoot a 450 Grain .85 length Lyman Plains bullet, up to 650 Grain Custom PP equally well, It is an AWESOME shooting rifle! It took awhile for me to like it tho, they just aren’t built like a Thompson Center

edmehlig said:
If I wasn’t strapped for cash right now I’d go for one . The hardest decision would be to go for the 50 or 54 caliber.

I hear ya Ed! That Hunter Hawken is 1 i really wanted back before i found my GM LRH barrels, i was having a hard time finding a .50, .54 Cal fast twist (Idaho Minimum on Elk is .50 Cal) I tried getting info on this Pedersoli Hawken Hunter and just couldn’t find anything, or anyone carrying it then? It looks like a very well thought out gun for the Hunter, from the Twist, to the Peep sight, Sling swivels, Recoil Pad, etc. I figured it would be at least a Grand being Pedersoli? Turns out it’s more reasonably priced than i thought. If i were gonna get one it would be .50 Cal, i have the fast twist .54 base well covered. I wish someone on here would buy one so we can see how they shoot

The only problem I have with the Hunter Hawken is the drum. The rifle looks awesome, but the drum looks like the same one on the CVA Hawken. I know that back in the late 1970's and early 1980's I remember guys talking about the drums blowing out on the CVA's with heavy loads. The CVA I had never blew out but I was worried about it.
The Missouri River Hawken has a snail that appears to be the same as a TC rifle. The Gibbs rifles and the Whitworth rifles both appear to have more of a snail type instead of a drum. I might be wrong but I don't remember any long range guns with a drum. I am sure that the Hunter Hawken is superior to the CVA in every way. But I would worry about the Drum. I wonder why they didn't put the same barrel from the Missouri Hawken on it?

idahoron said:
I wonder why they didn't put the same barrel from the Missouri Hawken on it?

Ron, Not sure, But I’d bet to keep the price down?

At the SHOT show I saw a Pedersoli ML they are making for youth/beginners with a price around $500. It has no ramrod provision and the barrel is Octagon to Round - Light weight.
The Hawken Hunter shown above in the Video - is nearly identical, the same stock and lock (without the ramrod provision and nose cap or set triggers) and this bbl is full octagon..
I give them credit for at least doing something...

Back